We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cliffs of Moher to ferry to Tarbert?

Which Tarbert hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Maryland
reviews: 1
Cliffs of Moher to ferry to Tarbert?

In Sept we will be driving through the Burren, Cliffs of Moher and next major stop will be Dingle Peninsula. Is it feasible to travel down the coast on N67 to Killimer to take the ferry to Tarbert and on to Tralee (and if so, how long would it take from the Cliffs to the ferry? Or are we better off to go through Ennis and Limerick? Thanks!

28 replies to this topic
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
reviews: 38
11. Re: Cliffs of Moher to ferry to Tarbert?

From the Cliffs follow the signs for Lahinch, then Ennistymon, then Ennis, then get on to the motorway towards Limerick. To get to the tunnel, stay on the main road and follow the visuals. The toll is €1.80 and its very much worth it. Follow the signs for Cork Tralee Killarney Adare then Tralee Killarney Adare (there is a turn off for Cork). The road will peter out before you arrive into Adare (lovely village) Drive through Adare until you come to the fork in the main street and take the left fork. Continue driving on the main road, bypassing Castleisland, and you will come to a T junction shortly after seeing Kerry International Airport on the left. Take the left here and in about 20 minutes you will be in Killarney.

Follow things here:

http://tinyurl.com/dyjs5bg

Loughrea, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden
reviews: 33
12. Re: Cliffs of Moher to ferry to Tarbert?

link faulty BeanA http://goo.gl/maps/wAfjz

Now bearing in mind this trip also involves the Combi Cruise from Doolin and ur man is aiming to do the job lot straight off the redeye into a strange car on the wrong sides of strange roads...

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
13. Re: Cliffs of Moher to ferry to Tarbert?

Not a faulty link when I click on it Tony - mine is just bigger than yours!!

Peter can zoom out and stick the man on the roads to get bearings/visuals.

I agree with you - I've already recommended that he skip the Cliffs.

Loughrea, Ireland
Destination Expert
14. Re: Cliffs of Moher to ferry to Tarbert?

Just sends me into the sea 100yards or so out from the south end of the Cliffs?

Ireland
reviews: 6
15. Re: Cliffs of Moher to ferry to Tarbert?

While the Tunnel is better road and might be some way easier it is not general the way the majority of our tourist visit Ireland.

I like to suggest the other way - please note Faille Ireland is planed this path as the Wild Atlantic Way. The Cliffs down the Claire Coast to Doolin into Kilrush town and over the Shannon ferry to The Kingdom of Kerry.

From There one can certainly take in Ballybunion and the the Newly opened Bromore Cliffs walks etc

The choice is endless and the ferry running every half hour by summer makes life easier to get out of the car for 30 minutes etc.

When coming from the States and a large City is nice to see the wild rugged countryside for a change.

David

San Francisco...
16. Re: Cliffs of Moher to ferry to Tarbert?

Did you take the tunnel- I think we have to do this because rental cars can't go on the ferry- we are leaving Dingle and want to see the cliff of Moher- is this the way you went?

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
reviews: 72
17. Re: Cliffs of Moher to ferry to Tarbert?

Rental cars can't go on the Ferry???

Ireland
18. Re: Cliffs of Moher to ferry to Tarbert?

Rental cars and private cars take the ferry each and every day.

Coming from Dingle to the Cliffs it makes great since to take the Ferry and relax over the the River Shannon

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
19. Re: Cliffs of Moher to ferry to Tarbert?

I think the reference to ferries and rental cars is a reference to international ferries!!

That flatbed ferry (and any of the other flat bed river and estuary ferries - thinking here of Passage East in Waterford and Passage West in Cork) are very safe.

Loughrea, Ireland
Destination Expert
20. Re: Cliffs of Moher to ferry to Tarbert?

The ferry is a good option for a relaxed drive taking in some of the lesser visited places either side of the estuary, there are a few spots between the ferry and Ennistymon worth a closer look. For the dash between tourist spots the Tunnel makes more practical sense and saves a little time.

Reply to: Cliffs of Moher to ferry to Tarbert?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tarbert
More Tarbert Topics