We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving 6 am flight, pick up rental car when?

Which Shannon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Center Moriches...
reviews: 51
Arriving 6 am flight, pick up rental car when?

Arriving Shannon May, 2014 at 6 am. What time should I tell the car rental office that we would be able to pick up the car? Thinking customs might take some time, then perhaps some breakfast at the airport, plane may be late, etc. Really have no idea how long all that could take having not done it before.

On our return flight, how long should I be at the car rental drop off before the flight back across the pond?

5 replies to this topic
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
reviews: 49
1. Re: Arriving 6 am flight, pick up rental car when?

The reservation usually asks for the flight info, doesn't it? They'll know if it's late. I'd just add an hour on to the arrival time and you should be fine.

Departing Shannon is easy. 3 hours is "officially" recommended by the airlines for international departures, I think. But you can do it in a bit less with time to spare.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney, Berny Riviere
reviews: 37
2. Re: Arriving 6 am flight, pick up rental car when?

Give yourself an hour or so including breakfast. The car hire companies are used to this. Shannon is a very easy airport to get through.

In terms of leaving the car back, allow yourself 30 minutes to drop the car back. And you need a further 3 hours pre-flight for a transatlantic flight. So you need to be in Shannon a MINIMUM of 3h30minutes in advance of your flight.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney, Berny Riviere
reviews: 37
3. Re: Arriving 6 am flight, pick up rental car when?

I'm glad IrishFan and myself concur :o)

Center Moriches...
reviews: 51
4. Re: Arriving 6 am flight, pick up rental car when?

Thank you for your replies. Looking forward to our first trip to Ireland.

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
reviews: 23
5. Re: Arriving 6 am flight, pick up rental car when?

Is this critical regarding number of days of hire? Strategy might be to book car early and pick up keys as soon as possible so they and you have greatest flexibility. If you pick up late they may have let the best cars go and you're left with the remainder. The flip side is that if you pick up late and all your class cars are gone you might get an upgrade. Anyway it's not critical information - car will be available early and you can return anytime.

Reply to: Arriving 6 am flight, pick up rental car when?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted