We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dromoland Castle Location & Luxury Hotels

Which Shannon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
reviews: 53
Dromoland Castle Location & Luxury Hotels

I am thinking of visiting Dromoland Castle. My only concern is the location as it seems a little isolated. I would like to explore the local area on day trips by public transport (not hire a car), is this possible?

Do you have any recommendations for a luxury hotel (either four or five star) in Shannon where the location is a little better for day trips by local transport.

Thanks again.

Ennis, Ireland
reviews: 147
1. Re: Dromoland Castle Location & Luxury Hotels

I was just wondering how long you will be staying and when you say explore the local area, do you mean the coast of Clare?

In my opinion, Shannon would not be the nicest place to base yourself and the hotels would not be considered luxury hotels.

Dromoland was located on the main Limerick/Ennis road, and this has now been by-passed, but some bus services do still pass by the hotel. However, it is quite a long walk from the main gate through the grounds to the hotel door.

Would you considering basing yourself in Ennis and doing day trips from there? The Old Ground Hotel is a nice hotel in the centre of town, although not quite luxury. www.flynnhotels.com

Can you give us an idea of the day trips you had in mind, and we might be ablte to help you a bit more.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
reviews: 232
2. Re: Dromoland Castle Location & Luxury Hotels

Neither of the places you mention are any good for day trips by public transport. The nearest hub would be limerick City. I suggest you choose a nice hotel in Limerick city and make your day trips from there.

What month will you be here? As usual, can I suggest to you that you hire a car? There are a number of reasons why you would do this. The main two being that you will be more independent and will not be dictated to by routes only served by public transport. Many of the most beautiful areas in this country outside of cities and large towns have no public transport whatsoever.

Edited: 7:10 pm, February 20, 2011
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
reviews: 53
3. Re: Dromoland Castle Location & Luxury Hotels

Thanks both. Since posting we have had a change of heart, long story!

I will contact you if I need further advice. I appreciate your prompt reply & helpful advice as always.

Best wishes.

Shannon, Ireland
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
reviews: 33
4. Re: Dromoland Castle Location & Luxury Hotels

I am not a big fan of Ennis - but the transportation links are quite good...as they are from Shannon.

As Bannergirl mentions the Ennis Town hotels (Templegate is in a really nice location beside the Clare museum) could not be considered luxurious - particularly when you peg them again Dromoland castle.

http://www.templegatehotel.com

Had you considered Galway?

Otherwise - perhaps make use of a local taxi from Dromoland?

It's large like Ennis, but has fantastic charm.

Shannon, Ireland
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
reviews: 33
5. Re: Dromoland Castle Location & Luxury Hotels

WT, our posts croossed over - I hope you enjoy your trip; wherever you go!

6. Re: Dromoland Castle Location & Luxury Hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 pm, October 22, 2012