We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clifden in mid November?

Which Clifden hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
florida
reviews: 128
Clifden in mid November?

There are some great flight deals from Orlando in November to Dublin, like under 600.00. I have not seen flights that cheap in a long time. We have always wanted to rent an apartment in Clifden just to explore the Connemara area. Thinking about renting a car to explore once in Galway. Three nights seems the minimum to rent an apartment and though it might be cold and windy it might be doable.This will be my fifth trip but have always gone in spring and early fall. Have any of you gone in Nov?

7 replies to this topic
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
reviews: 207
1. Re: Clifden in mid November?

It's a lottery really as to what weather conditions will be like in November. The earlier in November the better - I say.

Here is what November was like here last year, it is worth reading. While this will not forecast what the weather will be like next November, it will give you some idea what to expect.

met.ie/climate/…clim-2012-Nov.pdf

Sunrise in November is approx. 7:30am and sunset 4:30pm, these short days coupled with inclement and cloudy weather can conspire to make it the most dismal month in this country. However, as I mentioned already - it is a lottery. I do recall one November not so many years ago when I hiked the Kerry way in shorts, and at midday I was dispensing with my fleece top and applying sun cream ;-))

The biggest advantage for you is that you have been here before and you will have some idea as to what to expect - weatherwise. I'd say - go for it, but try and get a flight as early in that month as possible

florida
2. Re: Clifden in mid November?

Thank you Byrno. I am not that worried about the weather but more about things being opened. I have gone in early Sept and froze one day and wore no jacket the next. I think most of what we want to do will not depend on touristy things. I think a trip to any of the islands but be iffy with the ferry though.

Edited: 9:18 am, August 31, 2013
Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
3. Re: Clifden in mid November?

An older post on the general topic:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186608-i1560-k369…

Weather permitting, you can still get to Inishbofin in November:

inishbofinislanddiscovery.com/Timetables1.ht…

http://www.inishbofin.com/Thingstodo.html

Events in Clifden: As might be expected, Not much in terms of formal organized activity in November:

http://clifdenchamber.ie/events/

Not available after October:

www.killarycruises.com/departures.html#depart

florida
4. Re: Clifden in mid November?

Inishbofin might be doable. We both have good sea legs. I was finding that a lot of events calendars went to Oct and stopped. We just left Big Sky, Montana and they shut down Oct and Nov. I think we will find enough to do. Thank you

New York City, New...
reviews: 208
5. Re: Clifden in mid November?

We're going in November as well and many sites tell you online their status. What closes often tends to do so at the end of October and you can check virtually anything in this manner. I've been multiple times in higher seasons and through the dead of a whole winter as well.

As seasoned travelers you'll have a great time and people are especially friendly toward the "brave" fewer with whom they deal. Finally, a peat fire never smells so good as with a nip in the air or hard chilling rain (which can, though somewhat more intermittently, occur at any time of year). And you can practically dead run from outside and not stop until bumping your nose into the Book of Kells during November. Try doing that in July!

Edited: 8:06 pm, August 31, 2013
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
reviews: 207
6. Re: Clifden in mid November?

"bumping your nose into the Book of Kells during November"

Now there's an interesting scenario for the security guys at the library ;-))

Wakarusa, KS, USA
7. Re: Clifden in mid November?

Galway and Connemara are a great choice for November. Yes, you'll have rain and some chillier temps but the serene beauty of the area and the few tourists around make for a very pleasant experience. Check out the village of Roundstone (you may wish to stay here a night). It's a harbor village with all that that entails. Some great restaurants here and also nearby at Ballynahinch Castle Hotel. Visit Malachy's Bodhran factory and see how they hand make and hand paint the goat skin drums that are used in traditional Irish Music. Take a scenic drive to Clifden via Ballyconneely and walk the open strands (beaches). Clifden is very enjoyable with some great restaurants as well. You'll see Abbeyglen Castle Hotel at the top of the Sky Road hill. Don't forget to drive north to Kylemore Abbey and on to Leenane and Killarney Harbor - very scenic. Then come back down the Lough Inagh Valley a magnificent drive. If you're heading into Galway City then you can turn left and go through Moycullen and visit the Celtic Crystal factory - exquisite! Galwya city is a vibrant city with pedestrianized streets (which makes parking places precious) and where you find many pubs with good food and evening Irish music. I experienced this after receiving advice from Conn at easytourireland.com who not only gave me a great price on a inclusive Hertz car rate (with Super Cover) but also provide FREE itinerary planning advice once you've booked the rental car. You can't beat that. I have used him several times on my many return trips to Ireland and each time I ask him to guide me around different parts of Ireland.

Reply to: Clifden in mid November?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted