We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mallmore House or Quay House

Which Clifden hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Medina, Ohio
reviews: 27
Mallmore House or Quay House

Has anyone stayed at any of these and can offer any opinions about them? Thanks

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
1. Re: Mallmore House or Quay House

Have you looked at the reviews - including recent ones - on TA:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g211883-d569523…

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g211883-d215949…

Medina, Ohio
2. Re: Mallmore House or Quay House

Yes I have. Just wondering if anyone had anything else to add. The quay house has many more reviews, but the mallmore house just seems more romantic and in a nicer scenery. It also has alot less reviews which makes it harder to decide.

Loughrea, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden
reviews: 30
3. Re: Mallmore House or Quay House

These are two of the more expensive options for Clifden.

Malmore not to my taste and a couple of miles out of town so not for anyone wanting a night out.

Quay House individually themed rooms, welcoming with a good breakfast and walking distance from town. I believe the Mirror room has a romantic feel?

In the same price range. Seamist House. http://www.seamisthouse.com/ also good for town.

You could also consider Abbeyglen Castle hotel which is again just walking distance along the Sky Road. http://www.abbeyglen.ie/

Sorry I was away when this was posted or I would have responded sooner.

Medina, Ohio
4. Re: Mallmore House or Quay House

I looked at Abbeyglen also but one think that turned me off of this place was the negative reviews for the bog water baths there. What is your opinion of this? Ive never heard of a bog water bath. Is it ok to brush your teeth in something like that?

Edited: 3:49 pm, October 27, 2011
Loughrea, Ireland
Destination Expert
5. Re: Mallmore House or Quay House

To be honest I have not stayed at the Abbeyglen so can only go off talking to people who have been staying there. The norm is that its good but expensive, hence they are in town talking to the natives instead of eating and drinking at the hotel. As to the Bog water Baths, yes water is drawn from the mountain and yes the mountain is largely bog (Peat) and the water can at times be murky. I would imagine but dont know that they have separate filtered taps for drinking water as do other places in town. Not much help I don't suppose, you could always email them with your concerns..info@abbeyglen.ie

Medina, Ohio
6. Re: Mallmore House or Quay House

All in all the abbeyglen doesnt look like a bad place. It is the same price as the quay house but just a different feel to it. I did make a reservation at the quay but if it comes to it I might stay at the abbeyglen instead. It might have more of an old world feel to it.

Loughrea, Ireland
Destination Expert
7. Re: Mallmore House or Quay House

You might want to read about Quay house in this report from another forum

…activeboard.com/t45794784/…

Huntsville, Alabama
8. Re: Mallmore House or Quay House

Roblox,

We stayed at the Quay house at the beginning of October and you likely read my review. My husband and I (late 30s/early 40s) and my parents (mid 70s, celebrated their 50th anniversary on the trip) absolutely LOVED the Quay house. My husband and I are already discussing our next trip to Clifden, to stay at the Quay House. One of our must dos for that trip is the diamond trail at Connemara Park, hubby started to go up the red trail but turned back when it got too steep/rocky as he was on his own (my parents did the blue trail and I was having a bad Fibromyalgia day so I sat in the courtyard, roamed around the wildlife trail and enjoyed the scenery). We loved the fact that we could walk up to town and have a great dinner (LOVED the mussel appetizer at Marconi's - plenty for a main!) could have hung out at a pub and then taken the stoll down the hill back to the wonderful comfortable Quay House.

We really felt right at home and Paddy and Julia were extremely welcoming, helpful and gave fantastic recommendations for the area.

I know this is echoing quite a bit of my review, but out of all of the places we stayed on our 16 night trip (which were all great), I can only see us spending more time at the Quay House.

Medina, Ohio
9. Re: Mallmore House or Quay House

Thanks for the trail recommendation! Unfortunately I had to cancel my stay at the quay house. After calculating the costs of hotel stays for my vacation, I had to drop the two most expensive hotels. The 240 euros for the quay house was just way too much for us right now. I am still deciding where to stay but my eye is on the hillside lodge currently. It looks very clean.

Medina, Ohio
10. Re: Mallmore House or Quay House

Double post

Edited: 9:20 pm, October 31, 2011