We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary/Macroom Info

Which Macroom hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Massachusetts
reviews: 8
Itinerary/Macroom Info

We will be visiting south/west Ireland in April and want to visit Macroom as my mother in law's family is from there - can anyone recommend places to stay?

Can we stay in Kinsale and visit there?

I would also appreciate overall input on our itinerary as we are getting so many mixed opinions.

We are flying in and out of Shannon and will be there for 6 nights.

We are thinking of visiting Bunratty Castle then staying at Adare Manor our first night.

Then we are thinking of staying in Dingle, Kenmare and Kinsale/Macroom with our last night at Dromoland.

But we are not sure how much sense that makes, if we should stay two in Dingle and 2 in Kinsale and skip Kenmare and if we need to see the Ring of Kerry or if it would be too much.

Any input would be appreciated.

I

Leeds, United...
reviews: 18
1. Re: Itinerary/Macroom Info

HI

If you stay in Macroom you must sat at the Castle Hotel. Its fabulous and you won't regret it.

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
reviews: 38
2. Re: Itinerary/Macroom Info

BAP, you can visit Macroom from Kinsale but considering that your mother-in-law's family is from Macroom would it not be a nice idea to stay in the town for one night?

You don't NEED to see the Ring of Kerry, it is perfectly up to you.

I would almost suggest to skip Kinsale and stay in Kenmare and then head to Macroom for one night...

How's that for even confusing you further?

Massachusetts
3. Re: Itinerary/Macroom Info

Hi Clauds -

As you can see from my email re Dingle/Cliffs, I am confused - I wish we had planned a longer trip. However, re Macroom - we just learned that the family was actually from Killindarish (sp) which so far I can't locate on a map - you had mentioned you hadn't heard of it either. We also just learned that her relatives also ran Donnelly's Bakery in Cork but I read on line that is closing.

Seems like the locals aren't crazy about the ROK : )

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
reviews: 38
4. Re: Itinerary/Macroom Info

I think your itinerary (1 night Adare Manor, 2 nights Dingle, 1 night Kenmare, 1 night Kinsale and 1 night Dromoland) would be nice. If you don't want to stay one night in Macroom then you can still drive to Dromoland via Macroom on your way from Kinsale. At least that way you would get an impression of where your mother-in-law's family came from.

The reason I am suggesting to retain Kenmare in your itinerary is that this way you would drive at least part of the Ring of Kerry and might get a taste for coming back... Nothing wrong with the ROK, it's just that you have so little time. The drive to Kinsale from Kenmare via West Cork (Bantry, Skibbereen, Clonakilty) is lovely but very long from Dingle. So if you started out from Kenmare you could do it easily. However, you can leave out Kenmare and go directly to Kinsale via Macroom... missing out on some beautiful scenery.

Do post about Killindarish on the Cork forum, you might get some information.

Massachusetts
5. Re: Itinerary/Macroom Info

I think I am spelling it wrong - I think it might be Killinardish or drish and I am trying the Cork forum so we'll see what happens.

Kenmare is a definite - any favorite places to stay?.

Audubon, NJ
6. Re: Itinerary/Macroom Info

We are staying at the Riverside Hotel in Macroom. Does anyone have any suggestions for golf course in that area. We will be there from March 9-19th, 2008

Bill Taulane

Audubon, NJ

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
reviews: 42
7. Re: Itinerary/Macroom Info

I believe you are looking for Killinardrish which is just outside Macroom down the river a bit.

Massachusetts
reviews: 9
8. Re: Itinerary/Macroom Info

There is a golf course right down town. Be Advised there are no golf carts though, you have to carry your own clubs

9. Re: Itinerary/Macroom Info

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 pm, September 22, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Macroom