We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

12-14 day trip Killarney, dingle,but then north? Or GauganBa

Which Macroom hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Winthrop, Washington
reviews: 14
12-14 day trip Killarney, dingle,but then north? Or GauganBa

Trying to decide if we want to skip going up to the Conemarra area from Killarney and Dingle or just stay south and visit Kenmare, Kinsale, Gaugan Barra etc. flying in and out of Shannon in May. We want to stay in four or five places and explore those, as opposed to having to spend all of our time driving. And back tracking. We want to see countryside,Castles Abbeys, forts, hike, visit a few pubs for the people part not so much the drinking. Stay in some nice b&B's.

10 replies to this topic
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney, Berny Riviere
reviews: 37
1. Re: 12-14 day trip Killarney, dingle,but then north? Or GauganBa

If you have 12-14 days, then you will have time to see Connemara, and I think it would be worth your while giving it a few days.

Shannon to Killarney will take about 90 minutes to 2 hours. And you can see a lot in a week.

I'm not a big fan of Kinsale, and if its a choice between Kinsale and Connemara, for me Connemara wins hands down every time.

Would you consider 9 days in Kerry - West Cork, one day travelling between Kerry and Connemara and a further 4 day in the Connemara area before returning to Shannon?

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
reviews: 70
2. Re: 12-14 day trip Killarney, dingle,but then north? Or GauganBa

Meh to Kinsale here too. If you are looking to see some forts there are two good examples outside Cahirsciveen and of course Staigue forts. I'd put Kenmare above Kinsale and use it as a base for Beara and parts of West Cork

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
reviews: 70
3. Re: 12-14 day trip Killarney, dingle,but then north? Or GauganBa

And to add, there is a very interesting fort called "The City" at Shrone, near Rathmore in Kerry.I'd also suggest you consider a hike up through "The Paps"- named for the breasts of the godess Danú-as in Tuatha dé Dannan, if the weather is anyway clear-there's a rough old road that you can walk over the hills toward Gougane and the views are spectacular.

The Dingle pennisula has some spectacular locations for castle too, the one at Minard at the edge of the ocean and the castle of Rathinanne near Ventry is actually built inside a much older stone fort, rumour being that the blood of the local people was used in the mortar to strengthen the walls!The fort of Dún an Óir- the fort of gold, is a lesser visited spot on the penninsula and the place where many of the Spaniards who made it to shore after the wrecking of the Spainish Armada fleet in the Blasket sound sheltered. There is also Dún Beag, a promontory fort, but you need to pay to get in here.

Loughrea, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden
reviews: 30
4. Re: 12-14 day trip Killarney, dingle,but then north? Or GauganBa

If you do decide to spend some time north of Shannon there are many of us who would be happy to give you pointers. Clifden has Arts week, 10 days in the latter half of September which could be of interest.

Winthrop, Washington
5. Re: 12-14 day trip Killarney, dingle,but then north? Or GauganBa

Is Gaugan Barra worth the effort to see do you think the pictures look idealic?

Loughrea, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden
reviews: 30
6. Re: 12-14 day trip Killarney, dingle,but then north? Or GauganBa

Gaugan Barra is well worth taking some time but don't expect picture perfect every day, We are only just out of September and I have 20yard visibility from my front gate this morning due to the mist from the forestry.

County Cork, Ireland
reviews: 20
7. Re: 12-14 day trip Killarney, dingle,but then north? Or GauganBa

Gougan Bara is very pretty. If you base yourself in Kenmare for a few days then you can stop there on your way to Sheeps Head or Glengarriff. The ring of Beara is really nice too. I love Kenmare. It's a small town but lots of pubs and restaurants. You're traveling at a good time though as most places won't be too busy yet.

Winthrop, Washington
8. Re: 12-14 day trip Killarney, dingle,but then north? Or GauganBa

Would it be better to go to Gaugan Barra from Killarney or Kensale.?

County Cork, Ireland
reviews: 20
9. Re: 12-14 day trip Killarney, dingle,but then north? Or GauganBa

Killarney is closer. It's about an hour or so, about an hour and a half from Kinsale.

Winthrop, Washington
10. Re: 12-14 day trip Killarney, dingle,but then north? Or GauganBa

Thanks Sherrigoleen!

Reply to: 12-14 day trip Killarney, dingle,but then north? Or GauganBa
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Macroom