We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit Malahide Castle

Which Malahide hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Arizona
reviews: 2
Visit Malahide Castle

I will be staying around the Dublin airport for one night and want to get out to Malahide Castle on a Sunday. What is the best way to get out there cheaply and is it worth it?

Also, what are the best places to eat (mid priced ) within walking distance of Marriott Asbourne Hotel?

Dublin
reviews: 6
1. Re: Visit Malahide Castle

When you mention that you are staying around the airport - I assume that you are staying at the Marriott Ashbourne. If yes, you are staying about 12-15 miles from the airport and a further 3-5 miles from Malahide. Unfortunately there is no cheap and easy way of getting from the hotel to the castle, as there are no direct transport links. Taxi is the easiest option but it would be expensive at about €50 one way. You could take a bus from Ashbourne to central Dublin and then travel via DART (rail) to Malahide but that might be quite time consuming.

Malahide Castle is an interesting place but I'm not sure it merits the potential cost and hassle involved in getting there from Ashbourne.

Ashbourne has exploded population-wise over the last few years and there has been a parallel increase in places to eat - mostly Chinese, Thai and Indian from memory. However, I don't have enough recent experience of Ashbourne to recommend any one in particular- though Hunter's Moon in the centre of the villlage is a well established pub that does pub grub.

Arizona
2. Re: Visit Malahide Castle

Thank you. So, Asbourne might be someplace worth exploring too? We will get there about noon and don't fly out until the next morning so may be looking for something interesting to do without traveling very far as we won't have transportation. We will have stayed in Dublin for a couple of nights the previous week so I don't think we will want to go back into the city again. Any suggestions?

Ireland
Destination Expert
for County Meath, County Louth
reviews: 174
3. Re: Visit Malahide Castle

Hi Gypson

As Domhnall has mentioned, Ashbourne has had a huge surge in building/population over the last few years. The Ashbourne Marriott is on the environs of the town at the intersection of the town by-pass and industrial/retail area, possibly 10-15 minute walk to the town. Not having your own transport, you are fortunate insofar as you only have one night as Ashbourne itself wouldnt have much to offer a tourist, although you would have a wealth of activities if you had transport including Bru Na Boinne (Newgrange), Hill of Tara etc within 20 minutes away.

There is a frequent bus service to/from Ashbourne to the city - but doubt if the busses would stop at the Marriott (it is virtually on a roundabout). However, there is a bus-stop between the hotel and the village itself, so a 10 minute walk would get you to the busstop. Here is a link to the bus-service www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1287658512-103.pdf As Domhnall said, you would have to head to the city and out again to Malahide.

In terms of food, I would highly recommend Eatzen http://www.eatzen.ie/welcome.html It is our favourite local restaurant, and they do a great earlybird menu (Mon-Thurs to 7.30pm). Again, walkable from the Marriott.

The Ashbourne House Hotel www.ashbournehousehotel.com/index.php… is another option for food. Have a daily carvery and although I have never eaten from it, I have attended weddings/functions over the years and the food has always been good.

There is probably enough to fill an afternoon browsing/last minute shopping in Ashbourne if you dont head to Malahide). Have just checked your profile and see you are female - so a stop off at Jennys Boutique on the Main Street should make you happy (and her shoe shop a couple of doors down too!) and the Design Gallery (on the new main street) to pick up a few lastminute souveniers

Nearest activity to the hotel would be the cinema, should you wish to catch a movie on your last night http://www.showtimecinemas.ie/

Now after all that - just thinking - I think they have a free shuttle service from the Marriott to the Airport - a good option would be to take that to the airport, and take taxi/bus out to Malahide - Job Done!!

Wont delete the other information - just in case you might get some information from it :-)

Edited: 5:26 pm, February 15, 2011
Ireland
Destination Expert
4. Re: Visit Malahide Castle

Have just checked their website - Yes, they have a free shuttle - so take the shuttle to the airport and take taxi or a bus over to Malahide.

Arizona
5. Re: Visit Malahide Castle

Yes, the airport shuttle from the airport is one of the reasons I picked the Marriott. If we can get to the town of Asbourne on foot that might be good enough. We will have just done a week's horse riding trip on the west coast and will have seen alot so probably will just want to hang out and soak up a last bit of Ireland before heading home.

Thank you so much for all the info. I will take it with me.

Ireland
Destination Expert
6. Re: Visit Malahide Castle

If you do stay in Ashbourne Gypson, Eatzen's 3-course Sunday lunch is €19. For the quality and innovation of the food, it is well worth the money.

Just might see you there (a regular haunt of mine on a Sunday)!

Minnesota
7. Re: Visit Malahide Castle

I lived in Malahide a while and it was a very nice town right on the water. Another alternative way to get to Malahide is by a tour. See /www.dublinsightseeing.ie/. There is a North Coast tour that goes from Dublin to Malahide, with a tour of the castle included, and other places. The castle tour was very interesting and the castle grounds are quite nice, and there is a garden you can also tour (for an extra fee) if you are there at the right time of year.

If you go to Malahide by train (as suggested in a previous post), there are 2 really good restaurants in town you might want to try: Ciaos (which is Italian) and Siam Thai (which is Thai). Both are on the marina.

Ireland
reviews: 34
8. Re: Visit Malahide Castle

Hi there,

Take Pumpkins advice, go to Malahide via the airport shuttle. As much as I love Ashbourne, it doesn't have a large entertainment factor. It does have lots for last minute shopping, however, the Design Gallery is sadly, closed now.

Also for food, I'd recommend La Bucca, Italian, and Cinammon Garden, Indian. A trip to the chocolate shop, Chez Emily, is not to be missed. Great coffee and chocolates. Heaven. Have fun. :-) B

New York
reviews: 123
9. Re: Visit Malahide Castle

Give Justin at Dublin Chauffeurs a call! He will collect you and take you on a great tour allowing you to see the castle and the gorgeous little village of Malahide.

http://www.dublinchauffeurs.com/

10. Re: Visit Malahide Castle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:15 pm, June 14, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Malahide