We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is my plan realistic?

Which Dingle hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, Oregon
reviews: 34
Is my plan realistic?

Hi-

I will be in Ireland for work the first week of March. We finish in Cork on Friday afternoon and I fly home from Cork the Monday after. I have always wanted to visit the Dingle peninsula and don't know when I will be back in Ireland in the near future. So, I have come up with a plan but I would love some feedback on whether I am being crazy trying to fit too much in. I thought to take the train to Killarney Friday evening and spend the night there. Saturday morning I would rent a car, drive to Dingle and around Slea Head peninsula, and spend the night in Dingle. Sunday morning, drive to Kinsale and then catch the plane Monday around 11:00 a.m. out of Cork airport. I know mileage does not always represent time spent on the road and wouldn't like to spend the majority of my time in the car although I do want to visit Dingle!! Thanks for any thoughts!

25 replies to this topic
Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
reviews: 94
21. Re: Is my plan realistic?

I was out around Slea Head a few hours ago and while it was cold, there was little wind and no rain. There was mist at about 100ft above the islands and the sea looked like jade.

There were very few tourists about. Similarly, Dingle was very quiet last night when we went to Ashe's for dinner.

Kruger's pub is open year round. There are two very nice walks in Dunquin. One, called Siúlóid Na Cille, starts near youth hostel and takes you down to the Ryan's Daughter school house

Dublin Ireland
reviews: 2
22. Re: Is my plan realistic?

Your weekend is very doable , I think I would agree with suggestions that you drive from Cork. Likely to be quicker, cheaper and easier on yourself. Enjoy

Dublin Ireland
reviews: 2
23. Re: Is my plan realistic?

Your weekend is very doable , I think I would agree with suggestions that you drive from Cork. Likely to be quicker, cheaper and easier on yourself. Enjoy

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 34
24. Re: Is my plan realistic?

Just a note to thank everyone for your valuable contributions to my wonderful weekend in the southwest of Ireland! I did rent the car at Cork airport Friday afternoon around 4:00, drove to Killarney which was a bit harrowing as I got used to having all of that space on the passenger side on my left and kept feeling like I was about to hit parked cars, cyclists, babies in strollers and cheerful dogs. Saturday morning I was feeling confident enough though, and drove to Dingle and the Slea Head drive where I was just about the only car on the road and was happy to see my share of baby lambs and amazing views. I took the walk to the Ryan's daughter schoolhouse from the Blasket Head centre. It was quite windy and I did not dare get too close to the cliffs for fear of blowing off but it was really a fantastic walk and seeing the site of the schoolhouse, which so impressed me as a child when I first saw the movie Ryan's Daughter, just blew me away even if the wind didn't. Stopped in at the wonderful Curran's pub for a pint and the Courthouse later for music in Dingle. A magical place Ireland, and Dingle, I cannot wait to return!

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
reviews: 5
25. Re: Is my plan realistic?

Glad to hear it, I thought about you last weekend!

Friday was a lovely day, I walked round the Marina without a coat in warm sunshine, then Saturday and Sunday were windy and cold! Since Monday it has been glorious weather again, we have cut the lawns.

glad you enjoyed yourself despite the weather!!

Reply to: Is my plan realistic?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted