We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Help!

Which Dingle hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Granger, Indiana...
Itinerary Help!

Hello!

I am looking for some advice about our first trip to Ireland end of September. We are traveling to Dingle from Dublin first thing in the morning via rental car and plan to stay in Dingle that evening. We originally planned to drive to Doolin the next day in the late afternoon and stay another night in Doolin. After that, visiting the Cliffs and driving to Galway for a night. Is this possible or should we forgo Doolin and stay an extra night in Dingle? I am conceded we won't have enough time in Dingle as the drive from Dublin to Dingle will take us ~7 hours which will leave us with a small amount of time that evening in Dingle and the next morning/early afternoon to see the Penninsula.

Any thoughts? Thank you!

Jessica

Granger, Indiana...
1. Re: Itinerary Help!

Sorry for the couple of typos, lets try that again:

I am looking for some advice about our first trip to Ireland end of September. We are traveling to Dingle from Dublin first thing in the morning via rental car and plan to stay in Dingle that evening. We originally planned to drive to Doolin the next day in the late afternoon and stay the night in Doolin. The next day we planned to visit the Cliffs and drive to Galway to spend the night. We planned to tour Galway for the day and drive back to Dublin the evening. Is this possible or should we forgo Doolin and stay an extra night in Dingle? I am concerned we won't have enough time in Dingle as the drive from Dublin to Dingle will take us ~7 hours which will leave us with a small amount of time that evening in Dingle and the next morning/early afternoon to see the Penninsula.

england
reviews: 8
2. Re: Itinerary Help!

You seem to have four days in total? Most of it spent in the car. I would do either Killarney/Dingle region, or Doolin/Galway, its not enough time for both. You will see nothing but tarmac. Sorry.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
reviews: 95
3. Re: Itinerary Help!

Fully agree with Fuchsiagirl. Far too much car time, and if you are coming off a transatlantic flight, the drive to Dingle is nota good idea. I find it tiring even after a full nights sleep

Granger, Indiana...
4. Re: Itinerary Help!

Here is our complete itinerary:

Sept 23rd arrive in London and stay through Sept 28th. On Sept 28th, fly from London to Dublin and enjoy Dublin for the afternoon and stay there at evening.

Sept 29th Day trip to Northern Ireland through a bus tour group and stay in Dublin overnight.

Sept 30th Begin travelling to Dingle that morning and tour Dingle for the evening.

Oct 1st Travel from Dingle to Doolin in the afternoon and stay at Doonbeg resort.

Oct 2nd Visit the Cliffs and travel to Galway in the late afernoon. Stay in Galway

Oct 3rd Visit Galway and drive back to Dublin that afternoon.

Oct 4th Relax in Dublin for the day.

Oct 5th Travel back to the US

We will have a total of three nights on the West coast. If we were to stay in Dingle those three days instead of traveling up the coast, should we just take a day trip to the Cliffs. This is something we really want to see. Or should we just skip Galway and stay two nights in Dingle and one night in Doolin which is closer to the Cliffs (at least from what I understand).

Of all three locations (Dingle, Doolin, Galway), would you recommend Dingle as the top priority? If we were to stay in Dingle for the three nights, should we consider seeing an island or other attraction nearby or just visit the Penninsula and town?

Thank you for your advice already. We realize we will need to make some sacrifices to not see as many attractions to make our trip more enjoyable.

Jessica

england
reviews: 8
5. Re: Itinerary Help!

I have spent several weeks a year on the Dingle Peninsula for the last 15 years, I still find new walks and things I havent seen, but the same is probably true of anywhere in Ireland. But driving down one day and out the next you will not experience anything, YOU will have to make a choice as to what is your top priority, Doolin is too far for a day trip from Dingle. If the Cliffs of Moher(over rated I think) is your number one priority then go straight to Galway. otherwise stick with Dingle.

Huntsville, Alabama
reviews: 27
6. Re: Itinerary Help!

Why don't you skip Dublin at the beginning and fly from the UK to Shannon, at least that way you are on the correct side of the country for what you want to see and save the day trip to Northern Ireland to the end of your trip (or nix it all together and just concentrate on the west coast, flying out of SNN back to the US). I agree that you need to pick one area or the other (Dingle vs Galway) regardless of the flying.

Annapolis, Maryland
reviews: 40
7. Re: Itinerary Help!

I suppose it's personal preference as to whether the Cliffs are a must-see in Ireland, but we skipped them on our trip and don't at all regret it. We did, however, spend two nights/2.5 days on the Dingle Peninsula. I could have stayed longer!

Granger, Indiana...
8. Re: Itinerary Help!

Wow that's a great idea to fly into Shannon. I didn't know that airport existed. Unfortunately, our flight from London to Dublin is already booked with our car rental, hotels etc. I am not sure if we could change it at this point but I will definitely look into the possibility because that would save us in traveling time.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
reviews: 39
9. Re: Itinerary Help!

too much driving. If you have not spent time in Dublin, then skip Galway and get back there. As a DE in New Hampshire, I tell people all the time, there is no such thing as a must see. It is kind of funny to me that many people, like myself, spend so much time on the natural wonders of Ireland and less on the castles, homes, villages, etc where you can learn about the people and culture. I would say that is a mistake as while there are some great sights, these can be found in many places, while the culture is unique.

dublin
10. Re: Itinerary Help!

On such a short trip maybe just stick with Galway.

Up to you though.