We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st Visit - Itinerary Help Wanted!

Which Dingle hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
South Jersey
reviews: 18
1st Visit - Itinerary Help Wanted!

My wife and I are visiting Ireland for the first time in early March 2013. We'll be flying into Dublin, staying for 2 nights, and then renting a car. We'll be staying 7 nights total, and flying out of Shannon. I have a few questions.....any help would be appreciated.........

--After Dublin, we definitely want to visit County Kerry and County Clare. What is the best location to stay (maybe 2 nights?) for exploring County Kerry? Kenmare, Killarney and Dingle all sound great.

--Is it reasonable to leave Dublin and drive to County Kerry without staying overnight on the way, and making a stop at Cashel and/or Kilkenny? Or, would we be better off staying a night in Kilkenny on the way??

--In your opinion, with somewhat limited time, which is better to visit - the Ring of Kerry or the Dingle Peninsula?

I know the answers may vary considerably, but I'm very interested to hear any feedback. Thanks again!

Dublin
11. Re: 1st Visit - Itinerary Help Wanted!

It sounds like you have a great trip planned! It’s a great idea to start your itinerary in Dublin for a couple of nights to get your bearings. If you find the journey from Dublin to Killarney is too long, an option would be that to spend a night in Cashel, where you could visit the Rock of Cashel or even go to see the nearby Cahir Castle. From here, you can travel to Killarney and stay for 2 nights, allowing you to visit Killarney National Park and the Ring of Kerry. Next, head to Dingle for a third night. After exploring Dingle peninsula you could drive up to Ennis (for a night), County Clare, stopping off in the beautiful village of Adare and Bunratty Castle and Folk Park. Ennis is located slightly further north-west than Shannon Airport and it’s a good place to base yourself as you will be nearing the end of your trip. It is also close to the stunning Cliffs of Moher, Doolin, The Burren, or the beautiful Aran Islands. If you enjoy Irish traditional music sessions that would be the perfect place for it!

Bangkok, Thailand
reviews: 19
12. Re: 1st Visit - Itinerary Help Wanted!

G'day, As you travel, tell them Kevin says 'Hello"

In Dublin, stay at LATCHFORDS in Lower Baggat Street,Jody and Patsy will look after you.

Leave Dubllin, follow the Canal to N7 H;way, drive N7/ M7 to Portalise. turn to N8 then M8 to just before Michaelstown. Turn to N73 to Blackwater, then N72 through Killaney.to Kilorgan.Turn to N70 follow to Castlemaine, then B561 to Anascul, join M86 to Dingle. That should take about 4 to 5 hours depends on traffic through Killarney,which is usually bad.Two, three days is not ebough in Dingle,but make the most of it. Stay at "Ashes" very good B&B.

Drive Dingle to Castlemaine, Right on to N70 around the Ring of Kerry to Kenmare. Stay at "Ashfield". Leave Kenmare, back to Killaney, then N18 to Shannon.

Have a good time, but you need many more days / weeks to appreciate IRELAND..Slaen Le'at KEVIN

Las Vegas, Nevada
reviews: 12
13. Re: 1st Visit - Itinerary Help Wanted!

Having just returned from my first trip to Ireland I must say you are in for the most wonderful time. We rented a car and drove from Dublin to Sligo, then to Galway, then to Dingle and last night in a farmhouse in Athy. What an experience! I loved the Dingle Pennisula and it rained a good part of the two days we were there. But it is so beautiful and the town is very quaint. We stayed at The Lighthouse and enjoyed it so very much. Don't miss the Cliffs of Moher. Galway was also gorgeous and the pubs were so much fun! The driving on the other side was quite interesting the first day but after that my friend had no issues. What a great adventure. And, most of all, the Irish people were the friendliest, warmest, most generous and helpful. You will have the trip of a lifetime!

14. Re: 1st Visit - Itinerary Help Wanted!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, November 28, 2013