We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling Equipment for Rent

Orillia, Canada
reviews: 3
Snorkeling Equipment for Rent

I will be going for a week in February with snorkeling being the primary goal. I read a review lately that said they almost ran out of snorkeling equipment. I have my own mask and snorkel and would only have to rent fins. Has anyone run into a situation on the island where they are actually out of fins?

Also, I have heard there can be lineups to rent equipment and return it. What is the longest wait time you have had to wait in line to rent or return snorkel equipment?

I realize these are very specific questions and thank you in advance for any information you can provide.

Kent, England
reviews: 45
1. Re: Snorkeling Equipment for Rent

I take my own fins anyway but I've never experienced a queue in the Maldives, ever!

I suspect yes technically they could run out of fins if everyone wants to hire them, they clearly won't stock enough for everyone on the island.

It sounds like a very unusual situation to me and not one I have come across before. I'd suggest taking your own, normally cheaper than hiring them anyway.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
reviews: 18
2. Re: Snorkeling Equipment for Rent

agree .. I wouldn't be caught dead without my own fins.

there is really no way of knowing if they may have enough .. unless the island was to stock a pair of fins in every size for every potential guest - which of course is not the case. I suspect chance of running out is really slim, however.

taking your own is cost effective and much more comfortable and saves you that worry

United Kingdom
reviews: 22
3. Re: Snorkeling Equipment for Rent

Hi

If you are a keen snorkeler like us you will want to spend as much time as possible on the reef ,so definitely get your own fins to avoid disappointment . We were on the vila reef from first light till dusk ,it's fantastic ;-)

Enjoy

Darryl

Manchester, United...
reviews: 35
4. Re: Snorkeling Equipment for Rent

Our brand new snorkel leaked on day one as a valve at the bottom was missing, we asked about renting one for 2 weeks.

But it was a really poor basic quality, i.e. a cheap straight design with nothing to stop water pouring in at the top. They wanted £5/day, so £70 for 2 weeks, we said no a bought a good Cressi one from their shop for £30

5. Re: Snorkeling Equipment for Rent

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 pm, November 03, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Vilamendhoo