We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DLP newbies - where to start ?????

Chesterfield, UK
reviews: 12
DLP newbies - where to start ?????

We have visited WDW many times, but are planning a surprise visit to DLP for my sons 21st. Trying to choose between sequoia hotel and Newport Bay hotel. Like the look of sequoia but can't find any photos of the out door pool - we will be there in July so hoping for good weather - what do you think?

Feels really strange to not have a clue when we know WDW so well!

Jo.

Bury St. Edmunds...
reviews: 4
1. Re: DLP newbies - where to start ?????

Out of those two I think I'd choose the Sequoia Lodge. All the rooms have been refurbished in the last year or so but the Newport Bay refurb isn't due to start until next year some time. The SL almost always seems to get good reviews and it's only a short walk from the parks.

Brechin, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris, Marne-la-Vallee
reviews: 42
2. Re: DLP newbies - where to start ?????

The pool at the SL is indoors. I think the New York pool is partly outdoors.

ireland
reviews: 1
3. Re: DLP newbies - where to start ?????

Id go for the seqouia we stayed there im may and luved the pool, the slide was great fun. It was 25c+ when we were there so the outside pool aera was opened. It just an extension of the indoor pool and they just open up the shutters. There is some sunloungers outside so if its warm you can top up ur tan.

Lancashire
4. Re: DLP newbies - where to start ?????

We were I exactly the same position as u. We're are going next July too. We opted for sequoia lodge purely on the fact the rooms had been refurbished and Newport bay hadn't. I love the theming look for Newport bay as its brighter but hubby liked sequoia more.

Happy choosing

Norfolk
reviews: 125
5. Re: DLP newbies - where to start ?????

I have stayed in both Sequioa and Newport Bay and would happily stay in either again. As schumcher says the pool at Sequioa is part inside and part outside. We had to get out of the indoor part during a thunderstorm in case lightening struck outside!

I'd pick whichever has the best deal when you book.

New Forest National...
Destination Expert
reviews: 91
6. Re: DLP newbies - where to start ?????

Hi Jo, and welcome.

Both my sons celebrated their 18th birthdays in DLP, and I also went with my eldest one for his 21st.

It really comes down to the theming you prefer for each hotel, and whether things like room service or hot foods in the breakfast buffet are important to you. The 3 Moderate hotels are built on 3 sides of Lake Disney. Lake view rooms cost extra.

You can see the three hotels in this photo.

…photobucket.com/albums/…

--

The New York is the most expensive Moderate one, closest to the parks, indoor & outdoor pools, hot & cold breakfast buffet, room service, and has the most 'adult' theming of the Disney hotels so generally the least popular with families with young children. The outdoor pools are open from June to September depending on the weather. They are connected to the indoor pool, so if the doors are open you can swim to the outside one. Check dates of pool closures for refurb/maintenance before booking.

You can see the photo of my son with his birthday card & balloons in our room in August 2010, in my New York set.

flickr.com/photos/…

Empire State rooms are more expensive, with extra benfits including VIP Fastpass tickets for your stay. ( these can be bought in resort for €60 per day if they are available). These allow you to use the Fastpass entrance for rides with this facility as often as you like, so no need to use the Fastpass ticket machines in the parks.

photosmagiques.com/gallery/…

---

Sequoia Lodge is built along the long side of Lake Disney, between the New York and Newport Bay, National Park theming, in wood and stone, and has quite a cosy feel. There is a nice outdoor terrace area with views of Lake Disney. Rooms in the main building are called Montana ones. Standard rooms are in the 5 lodge buildings. Montana ones have a minibar but otherwise the rooms are the same. A few rooms in the main building have a large balcony/terrace.

The indoor pool has a slide, and connecting door to the outdoor pool, but you cannot access the pools from inside the hotel as you do with the HNY and Newport Bay ones, as the inside pool is in a separate building near the lodges. See map in my Sequoia Lodge photos set.

flickr.com/photos/…set-72157629633845316

All the rooms have been refurbished in this hotel, and we have heard that rooms on the top two floors in the main building will become Forest Oak rooms next year, with extra benefits ( but not including the VIP Fastpass).

Breakfast is cold buffet, but you can order a few hot dishes for extra cost at the restaurants.

I have never used the pools in SL myself, so can only go by reviews and what others say. The Disney pools are heated to French required temp, but I find them quite chilly.

---

Newport Bay is at the other end of the lake, so facing the New York. This is a huge hotel, but I think it has the nicest pools. The outdoor one has a large circular jacuzzi pool, which my boys loved when they were young, and some smaller jacuzzi pools inside.

flickr.com/photos/…

photosmagiques.com/gallery/…

Breakfast is cold buffet but again you can pay extra for some hot dishes.

Admirals Floor rooms cost extra, on the 6th-8th floors, and these have a separate checkin desk, minibar, kettle, and room service is available.

Quite a few rooms in the NBC have a balcony with French doors, ( no extra charge) so worth requesting one of these in summer, especially if you pay extra for lake view as well.

The NBC has not been refurbished yet - this is due to begin next Spring and will take 2-3 years to complete. As refurbished rooms become ready for guests they may charge extra for these, or they may begin with Admirals Floor ones - we don't know yet.

We do know what they will look like though, as they have done a few rooms already as a trial. See photos on this thread on magicforum.

www.magicforum.eu/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13945

We used to stay in the NBC every July with our two sons for 5-7 days, and divided our time between the one park and the pools. I always liked the red/white/blue rooms in summer, and the New England Nautical theming of the hotel. It looks very impressive, especially from the front, and is similar to the Disneyland Hotel in terms of elegance I think.

Some rooms will be in better condition than others, depending on how guests have treated them.

----

It is quite hard choosing hotels, but I hope this helps a bit. You can read my hotel reviews on TA.

tripadvisor.co.uk/members-reviews/Figgygirl

Edited: 9:21 pm, November 11, 2012
Chesterfield, UK
7. Re: DLP newbies - where to start ?????

Thank you all for your replies - i've BOOKED, sequoia lodge 4-8th july. It is a surprise for my disney mad son's 21st birthday. Dont know how we are going to keep it a secret!

4 trips to WDW, 1st visit to DLP....sooooo excited!

Jo.

New Forest National...
Destination Expert
8. Re: DLP newbies - where to start ?????

The British Festival will be on in the Disney Village on 5th & 6th July, so you have something extra to see.

Chesterfield, UK
9. Re: DLP newbies - where to start ?????

Great, do you have info?

Thanks

Jo.

New Forest National...
Destination Expert
10. Re: DLP newbies - where to start ?????

Only info from this year's British Festival.

www.youtube.com/watch…

Get answers to your questions about Disneyland Paris
More Disneyland Paris Topics