We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worried the nudity law is not being enforced in the Bahamas.

Which George Town hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canmore
Worried the nudity law is not being enforced in the Bahamas.

Hi I would love to go to Exuma but I am conservative. I am a tourist and believe me some tourists like me do not want to see topless females at all, I just want to enjoy the surroundings of exuma. I wish they were stricter like the Cayman's. They really need to enforce the topless law (which is included in the no nudity law), like a female officer patrolling the beaches telling tourists to put their tops on, 1st warning, 2nd warning a ticket or something. I guess some locals need this discipline too from what I read in the local Exuma papers. Seems like some of the politicians think this too. Just afraid of loosing tourists by being stricter-no way! I am a potential tourist and believe the beautiful atmosphere and weather speaks for itself and does not need a draw by topless women, in fact it repels some of us away. If it was stricter like the Cayman's I would book my flight tomorrow! Lots of people have kids, I do not but I really don't want to see this. There are places for this at certain resorts they should keep it there or the Bahamian authorities should be much stricter for local folks and tourists like me, I am not religious or have kids but believe topless females or more shown is inappropriate. ALL the main parts should be covered. Thanks

40 replies to this topic
Glastonbury...
reviews: 1
31. Re: Worried the nudity law is not being enforced in the Bahamas.

I hate to say it, but the OP is either a troll or just wayyyyyy to up tight to leave her own home

Paris, France
reviews: 2
32. Re: Worried the nudity law is not being enforced in the Bahamas.

lol I'm wondering if she went or not... it's been a while and she never came back here.

I wonder how long it'll take for the world to get over it's fear of naked people.

Long Island
33. Re: Worried the nudity law is not being enforced in the Bahamas.

The point is about obeying the law, not about what one thinks should be allowed. If a community has strong enough feelings something it to make it illegal, then the laws should be followed by visitors regardless of their personal beliefs. A very large part of the world still adheres to taboos about nudity. Western Europe is a small part of this planet, and has no business pushing their more liberal views on anyone else.

I not a prude and I have no issues with nudity, but I do have respect for the laws of the countries I visit, and most of those countries do not allow public nudity.

Jersey City, New...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, St. Lucia
reviews: 3
34. Re: Worried the nudity law is not being enforced in the Bahamas.

People need to get a life!!!! The idea that ANY island should spend their resources on police officers to patrol the beaches and control topless sunbathers is frankly ridiculous IMHO! I've lived in St. Lucia where nudity is illegal on the beach and have seen it and looked the other way. Who cares????

I went to school in Bermuda and never saw it anywhere. In the Caribbean there are much bigger issues like drug smuggling and robbery so, NO I think clothing beach patrols would be a waste of limited valuable resources!!!

Papafox, I totally agree with you.

New York
35. Re: Worried the nudity law is not being enforced in the Bahamas.

This post is a hoax she's written one post and never commented again. local Exuma papers, really which one. Is there a local Exuma paper? I've never seen one.

Time for this topic to go away.

Newport, Rhode...
reviews: 112
36. Re: Worried the nudity law is not being enforced in the Bahamas.

People should be discreet when sunning or swimming in the nude. Their problem is , once you do it once, you never get over the feeling of freedom...

37. Re: Worried the nudity law is not being enforced in the Bahamas.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:35 am, April 02, 2014

North Fort Myers...
reviews: 2
38. Re: Worried the nudity law is not being enforced in the Bahamas.

It's time to lock this thread. The OP is Canadian (that's where Canmore is) and they were asking about the Bahamas in the Bahamas forum. At this point, it's kept open by Europeans taking an opportunity to bash the US (and there actually are legal nude beaches in the US, so their rants aren't even valid). Rather than just delete the latest of these posts please just put an end to it.

ontario, canada
reviews: 1
39. Re: Worried the nudity law is not being enforced in the Bahamas.

Trip Advisor It's time to close this now.

Jersey City, New...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, St. Lucia
reviews: 3
40. Re: Worried the nudity law is not being enforced in the Bahamas.

You have to admit, whomever posted this, the title was definitely an attention getter. The kind of debate that ensued is what IMHO Tripadvisor is all about. I don't agree with everything that was said, but it was certainly interesting seeing the varying points of view.

Reply to: Worried the nudity law is not being enforced in the Bahamas.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about George Town