We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worried the nudity law is not being enforced in the Bahamas.

Which George Town hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canmore
Worried the nudity law is not being enforced in the Bahamas.

Hi I would love to go to Exuma but I am conservative. I am a tourist and believe me some tourists like me do not want to see topless females at all, I just want to enjoy the surroundings of exuma. I wish they were stricter like the Cayman's. They really need to enforce the topless law (which is included in the no nudity law), like a female officer patrolling the beaches telling tourists to put their tops on, 1st warning, 2nd warning a ticket or something. I guess some locals need this discipline too from what I read in the local Exuma papers. Seems like some of the politicians think this too. Just afraid of loosing tourists by being stricter-no way! I am a potential tourist and believe the beautiful atmosphere and weather speaks for itself and does not need a draw by topless women, in fact it repels some of us away. If it was stricter like the Cayman's I would book my flight tomorrow! Lots of people have kids, I do not but I really don't want to see this. There are places for this at certain resorts they should keep it there or the Bahamian authorities should be much stricter for local folks and tourists like me, I am not religious or have kids but believe topless females or more shown is inappropriate. ALL the main parts should be covered. Thanks

44 replies to this topic
Gastonia, North...
reviews: 52
1. Re: Worried the nudity law is not being enforced in the Bahamas.

What paper are you reading? Your post is kind of strange. We've been to Eleuthera 3 times, Long Island and Andros once and if we see people at all, they've never been indecent. Are you talking about Sandals Emerald Bay? We don't like resorts but I'm pretty sure this does not allow nudity.

Canada
reviews: 2
2. Re: Worried the nudity law is not being enforced in the Bahamas.

Laura:

I'd be very interested as to where you came up with this opinion of Exuma? What newspaper said that topless is prevalent?

We just returned from Exuma and can honestly say we did not see one topless female on any the the many beaches we went to. It is a beautiful place and the local residents are very much a conservative people. Somehow I can't see them condoning that.

I can't say that it doesn't happen on decks of rented villas, or maybe the private resorts, but then I would never look that close.

Go ahead - try Exuma - we loved it.

Edited: 6:46 pm, April 27, 2012
fla
3. Re: Worried the nudity law is not being enforced in the Bahamas.

I'm pretty sure there's a strict law prohibiting public nudity or topless in the Bahamas. I have never seen it in any part of the Bahamas, not even at the Club Med.

Key Largo, Florida
4. Re: Worried the nudity law is not being enforced in the Bahamas.

Yes the law strictly prohibits it but it will occasionally occur with very few Europeans who either don't care or until they are filled in. Don't let it stop you from visiting as the odds are slim!

nassau
5. Re: Worried the nudity law is not being enforced in the Bahamas.

It does happen, but it's rare. I've seen it here on Cable Beach over the years, but it's quickly resolved. Laws in this country prohibit such activity. Just curious what papers your reading. But my position is, if your on your own private beach, and I stress very private beach....like you own it, I don't have a problem with it. But it is against the local laws.

White Rock, Canada
reviews: 49
6. Re: Worried the nudity law is not being enforced in the Bahamas.

Oh no - I didn't realize our upcoming trip to Sandals in May was to a nudist colony! :-)

In addition to the female officer patrolling for non-compliant women, I think there should also be a male officer patrolling for violating males. In the event some dude is showing junk, they should be forced to at least cover up with either a speedo, banana hammock, or marble bag.

Nassau, New...
reviews: 42
7. Re: Worried the nudity law is not being enforced in the Bahamas.

I fear this is another one post wonder.

However, to add to the issue raised. I am female. I am a Bahamian resident for over 40 years and have travelled to most of the islands. Unless you are referring to someone on a private deck or a totally deserted beach, I have NEVER seen topless women on the beach (or anywhere else for that matter!

The law prohibits this. Period.

BTW, do you work for the Cayman tourist board?

nassau
8. Re: Worried the nudity law is not being enforced in the Bahamas.

Wow dusty...all along I thought you were a he...please do not get offended, earlier today in another post I was referenced as a she, when I'm actually a he. Now I'm really confussed. He or she??? Who cares. Just back from Spiritz at the Sandyport Marina....all i can say is, a very pleasant surprise. Service, quality & presentation, and value, were outstanding. it's now on my list of places to go. I wouldn't say it after one visit, this was my third trip there, and they have aced it everytime. Have a good weekend, well it's looking rainy. Cheers, William. And that's really my name. LOL.

New York
9. Re: Worried the nudity law is not being enforced in the Bahamas.

Exuma has a Paper

Long Island
10. Re: Worried the nudity law is not being enforced in the Bahamas.

I've been coming to Long Island for 10 years, and on the rare occasions that I've actually seen anyone else on any beach, they have always been properly dressed, i.e. in swimwear covering all of the important locations. This is a very strange thing to worry about in the Bahamas.

Reply to: Worried the nudity law is not being enforced in the Bahamas.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted