We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what to see in Summer? And the weather?!

Which Adelboden hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Gloucestershire
reviews: 33
what to see in Summer? And the weather?!

Hello, experienced Switzerland travellers!

I am lucky to be having a week in Adelboden in mid-June (ie just over a week from now..) but as I'm more used to travelling in Africa, I have NO IDEA what to expect of the weather in the Summer in the mountains.

I appreciate that the area is more used as a tourist destination for skiing, but I understand the mountains are beautiful for cycling and walking. I am not the fittest so will be sticking to slow lanes and flatter bits ..

Would you recommend taking trains to the other towns - if so, where? - and are there any tips on what to do in the daytime to get a feel for the area in only 7 days?

We are dining at the Hotel so most days will need to be back by supper time, if that affects the distance we can go and so on.

Thanks!

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 126
1. Re: what to see in Summer? And the weather?!

Much of our climate here in CH depends on the altitude. Adelboden is a ski resort and so will be cooler than places on the plain. Switzerland is not a big country - if you get a bad day in Adelboden you can take a train to Bern, Interlaken, Zurich etc, spend the day, and come home for dinner. At this time of year we should get temperatures in the plain of around 20-25C, and in the mountains, depending on how high you are, about 5C lower. Problem in the mountains in the summer is that sometimes the clouds stick around them and the resorts get fogged in, so to speak. Doesn't happen often but we haven't exactly had a great summer, weatherwise, so far! "They" say this is about to change, but they said that last week...

Things to do in Adelboden would certainly include a lot of hiking. My question is, why did you pick Adelboden if you don't like hiking etc?? Maybe you would be better off changing to one of the towns, or a lakeside place like Thun?? These are pretty much on the flat.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
reviews: 26
2. Re: what to see in Summer? And the weather?!

Hi roll-on,

I've never stayed (or even been to!) Adelboden, so I don't know how quickly you might run out of local walks and diversions.

But -- if you do have an odd day and want another destination, you might consider a day on Lake Thun. The train ride to Spiez should not be too long, and from there you can take a ferry ride to Thun or to Interlaken. That would be a fun day. Or in the other direction, you could see Zweisimmen, where I've only spent a few hours and which looked really lovely. Or go on from Zweisimmen to Gsaad and/or Montreux, the latter on Lake Geneva. Or you could hop over to Knadersteg and see that village in the valley and see the lake there (sorry I forget the name of it). But really, you're in a great location -- (hee hee) I don't think that a week is enough time!!

s

Gloucestershire
reviews: 33
3. Re: what to see in Summer? And the weather?!

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

When I say I don't like hiking it's not that extreme - I have two big dogs here in the UK and do enough walking every day to last a lifetime - just that it's not necessarily the purpose of the trip. We're not experienced hikers, and I've never been on a mountain bike before, so will have to be kind to my legs!

It would be nice to see something of the different areas. We got a fantastic deal on the hotel so we're based there for that reason, always having wanted to try Switzerland.

But it's great to know we can get around easily and I will take all advice about lakes and other towns.

Thanks again.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
reviews: 26
4. Re: what to see in Summer? And the weather?!

Sorry, I mis-spelled "Kandersteg." If you do a search, you should use the right spelling!

Have fun researching!

s

London
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 17
5. Re: what to see in Summer? And the weather?!

oh we've stayed in Adelboden in the summer and ADORED it, so much so that we went back again!! the mountains are beautiful for walking and the cable cars will take you to the peaks above Adelboden, so you can enjoy flat easy walks, if that is what you are up to. There is also a very nice easy (and cooler) riverside walk. The village is charming and laid back and it will be less crowded with vistors than other more obvious destinations.

Adelboden is at the end of a Post Bus run from Frutigen. It is the kind of place you can just hang out in and enjoy. You don't have to worry about taking lots of trips. Have you looked at the website www.adelboden.ch? Check out the 'hikes' section. Also, when you are there, the tourist office will help with maps and suggestions. Even though you are dining at your hotel, you should stop for tea/coffee and a cake at one of the fab tea rooms.

One nearby place which is a 'must-see' is the Engstigen waterfalls. You can get there by a short bus ride or long but flat walk - take the bus and save your energy for hiking there. You will see them in the distance from Adelboden, but the up-close experience is awesome.

If it is possible to get to the village of Lenk in the summer via cable cars, that would also be interesting. They connect as a ski region, but you would have to find out if they connect in summer.

You might also like to spend a day in Bern - great thing to do if it rains. The medieval centre is gorgeous and the museums are very interesting.

I hope you have as wonderful a time there as we had. The weather can be anything, so go prepared, but it is generally a sunny area.

Dresden
reviews: 3
6. Re: what to see in Summer? And the weather?!

I spent a week in fall some years ago in Adelboden and loved it. I did some hikes - nothing too strenuous - and rode a lot of the gondolas/cable cars. Here is a website about my trip to Adelboden:

members.virtualtourist.com/m/4166c/a9269/

Ingo

London
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 17
7. Re: what to see in Summer? And the weather?!

eagle2002 - great photos! Thank you.

roll-on-next-trip - I hope the images reassure you! It is very Heidi-country, isn't it? If you do want to travel about a bit from Adelboden, you can find bus/rail schedules on www.rail.ch. Kandersteg is nearby, and you can take a chair lift from there up to Oeschinsee, a beautiful alpine lake. But I hope you will be content to just settle in and unwind. Let us know how you get on!

UK
reviews: 2
8. Re: what to see in Summer? And the weather?!

I'll be in Kandersteg and Adelboden in just over a week - Switz is my fav place to hike. Have read lots about hikes on Adelboden's web site and can't wait

9. Re: what to see in Summer? And the weather?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:20 pm, September 30, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Adelboden