We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

August in Verbier with daughter

Which Verbier hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Exeter, United...
August in Verbier with daughter

I'm going to be staying in Verbier for a couple of days with my 9 year old daughter at the end of August and would appreciate any ideas for fun activities. I'm thinking of spectacular cable car rides, easy walking, mountain lakes and I've also seen references to trottinettes, the aquaparc and a maze, though I'm struggling to find any more information online. Any ideas would be appreciated!

London
Destination Expert
for Verbier
reviews: 130
1. Re: August in Verbier with daughter

www.verbier.ch does connect to most of the activities. But i) the new website is bad and ii) there isn't much detail beyond a phone number for many of them.

I have kids that age and a chalet in Verbier. 2 days isn't much time, but I would say the following are the great for that age:

- Trottinettes (note last year they had stopped during the last week of August)

- top of Mont Fort accessed by 3 cable cars. Great views but not much hiking involved.

- hiking especially along the bisses (irrigation channels)

- horse riding

- outdoor pool at the sports centre

- bike hire (using cable cars to avoid cycling uphill)

There's a stack of other stuff. Ice skating. Golf (real and crazy). Tennis. Spend a night in Cabane de Mont Fort. Parapente... But the first list is already 2 x what you can do in 2 days. The maze and aquaparc (I think) are in the valley near Martigny. Again, I don't think you will tire enough of Verbier to need to leave and passing them on the motorway, I have managed to resist the need to go inside!

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 113
2. Re: August in Verbier with daughter

the maze is the Labyrinthe and it is at Evionnaz. Will take you about an hour to get there from Verbier by public transport - bus to le Châble, train to martigny and local train (st Maurice line) to Evionnaz. It is hugely fun and the largest maze in Europe if not the world. But it is lots more than a maze. There are games there for all ages of children and some slides (quite adventurous in fact) etc.

Aquapark is at le Bouveret which is on the lake. you get there on the same local train that stops at Evionnaz. But it will take you 90mins from Verbier. It is a HUGE water sports complex. Pools, slides etc etc indoor and outdoor. Next to it is SwissVapeur Parc which has miniature trains (to scale and real models) and steam engines which can be ridden.

Better than Aquapark but perhaps not so much "splash fun" is Lavey les Bains which is a thermal spa and a very good one too. get there from St Maurice.

Much nearer and very interesting for children is the Museum of St Bernard Dogs in martigny. There are often puppies there (right now for example) and children love seeing and learning about the dogs and the very historic pass.

Otherwise in the area: Champex Lac with boats on the lake, and an Alpine Garden. the Hospice (with dogs) at the top of the St Bernard pass. But I agree with JT14. With only a couple of days you will be spoilt for choice in Verbier itself... BUT if you hit a rough patch of weather (can happen anytime - fog and cold) then think about coming down. the fog rarely goes below Medières...

3. Re: August in Verbier with daughter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, May 05, 2014