We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay in Vevey or Lutry

Which Vevey hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bangkok, Thailand
reviews: 68
Stay in Vevey or Lutry

We are planning a trip to Switzerland in April 2013. We will have only one night in this area. So can anyone please kindly inform us if whether we would choose Lutry or Vevey for our 1 night stay. We will be there on a Saturday by any chance will there be any market in either of these towns? Thank you and we would really appreciate your information.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
reviews: 25
1. Re: Stay in Vevey or Lutry

Hi Cherry55555,

There is a market in Vevey, but it's on Saturday morning and is winding down around 13.00 or so.

Whether you stay in Lutry or in Vevey will really depend on what you intend to do and see while on Lake Geneva. If you want to see Chillon castle and the lakeside promenade in Montreux, then Vevey would be the better spot (your hosts will give you a Riviera Card so you can travel between Chillon, Montreux, and Vevey for free on the bus). If you want to do some wine tasting and visit a wine cave, then Lutry would probably be a bit better.

I personally love Lutry, but I like Vevey even more. Vevey is larger, and its old town right on the lake is vibrant and interesting.

Have fun as you plan!

s

Bangkok, Thailand
2. Re: Stay in Vevey or Lutry

Dear Swandav,

Thank you so much for your kind reply. I will choose to stay in Vevey as you had suggested as it is more convenient for the Chillon. Thank you once again:)

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
3. Re: Stay in Vevey or Lutry

Happy to help!

Let us know if you have more concerns or questions!

By the way, you can take the bus from Vevey right to Chillon castle, but I would walk part of the way because the lakeside promenade is so pretty. I would get off the bus at the "Escaliers de la Gare" bus stop, cross the street, walk to the lake, and turn left. Keep the lake on your right hand, and then walk through Montreux and toward Chillon. It's a lovely walk.

On your way back, you can take the bus or the ferry.

s

Bangkok, Thailand
4. Re: Stay in Vevey or Lutry

Dear Swandav,

Thank you so much:)

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 113
5. Re: Stay in Vevey or Lutry

Going from Vevey to Chillon the bus is on the same side as the lake. So no need to cross the street if you are headed for Chillon. Just walk to the lakeside promenade from the bus stop. Bus number, BTW, is 201 and you can catch it in Vevey in a lot of places including the station. Runs every 10mins or so.

If you want an unusual place to eat in Montreux, try le Palais Oriental which is right on the lakefront, has a lovely veranda, and serves Middle Eastern and Iranian food. In Vevey there is a super little restaurant called Les Negotiants, in the hotel (also nice) of the same name in the old town and an excellent sushi restaurant right across the street, Ichioshi..

Saturday market in vevey is huge! And super!!

Bangkok, Thailand
6. Re: Stay in Vevey or Lutry

Dear Hambagahle,

Thank you so much for your kind advice:)

By the way I have one more question, is Vevey or Lutry more nice with a village feel? And which place offers more to do because I will have only one day before I leave to Zermatt.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
7. Re: Stay in Vevey or Lutry

Hi again,

Vevey will offer more to do -- there is Chillon nearby of course, plus a few funiculars up to some local peaks. There is the old town to browse through, and the lakeside promenade you can enjoy. Vevey has more of a vibrant-town feel.

Lutry has more of a village feel, but it has less to do. Lutry is smaller and will take less time to wander through, but you can also stroll the vineyards from there.

From either one, you can take a ferry ride on the lake --

Have fun!

s

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
8. Re: Stay in Vevey or Lutry

Ooops on the walking directions! Thanks for the catch, Hambagahle! I must have been typing w/o thinking . . .!

s

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 113
9. Re: Stay in Vevey or Lutry

Yes, Vevey is a large-ish town. has quite a few museums and is located next to the Lavaux vineyards which are a UNESCO World heritage site and really quite beautiful. Lutry is a medieval village - well, at least the centre is! - and is really these days more like a suburb of Lausanne, so for things to do you should be looking at Lausanne which is very big but not easy to find one's way around. Better look at

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g188107-c180593/Lausa…

Fact is though that Lausanne/Lutry/Vevey/Montreux are all so close together that it really doesn't matter where you stay, you can very easily go from one to the other to see and do things that interest you. And you can do this by Regional Express train (Lausanne to Montreux in about 20mins) OR local train making all the stops OR lake boat. you can't take the "ferry" though because really these only ply from Lausanne to Evian or from Nyon to Yvoire or Thonon and are mostly for commuters. The normal boats make all the local stops and are a really nice way of getting around on the north shore of the lake.

Personally I like to eat out, and eat well (!!) and to have a good choice of restaurants in the evening. For this reason I would chose Vevey over Lutry.

Bangkok, Thailand
10. Re: Stay in Vevey or Lutry

Dear Swandav & Hambagahle,

Thank you for more information. You both are so kind:). We will surely have a great time in Vevey.

Best Regards,

Cherry