We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A little trip

Which Cochem hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Maidstone, United...
reviews: 45
A little trip

Hi looking for a little advice. My husband and I are going to a reunion mid may on the German-Dutch border. We have 4 days to spare and would like to travel down by car to the Rhine towards Cochem or Koblenz . We leave the little town of Goch on Sunday. Will we have time to see cologne or give it a miss and just saunter down the Rhine and have the Sunday,Monday & Tuesday. We need to travel back on the Wednesday morning to catch the late ferry back to the u.k. Is it doable. Any tips or suggestions gratefully received.

4 replies to this topic
Mainz, Germany
reviews: 37
1. Re: A little trip

Fairly easy drive on a Sunday without rushhour traffic and hardly any trucks on the road. Consider to base yourself in Boppard on the Rhine instead of Koblenz which is not that scenic actually. You could visit Cologne on the way from Goch, expore the Mosel valley on one day, the Middle Rhine on the other. Imho all doable.

Edited: 5:00 pm, March 30, 2014
Boppard, Germany
Destination Expert
for Boppard
reviews: 2
2. Re: A little trip

Cochem is less than an hour's drive from Boppard, on scenic routes. With a car it is easy to do a day tour that includes Burg Eltz, Cochem and Beilstein, maybe even some of the area further up the river.

The most scenic part of the Middle Rhine Valley is from Boppard upstream to Bingen and Rüdesheim. St. Goar, Oberwesel and Bacharach are very close to each other and not too far from Boppard either. There are ferries in several locations, so you can easily reach places on the right bank such as Rüdesheim, Kaub or Braubach.

Maidstone, United...
3. Re: A little trip

Sorry it's late but thanks starting to plan and book hotel this week will take your advice

Maidstone, United...
4. Re: A little trip

Cheers for the reply. Very helpful will take your advice starting to book this week. Sorry for the lateness of my reply

Reply to: A little trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted