We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Goar in March?

Which Sankt Goar hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
St. Goar in March?

I'll be traveling to Frankfurt in the middle of March. I would like to spend two full days in at least one city in the Middle Rhine. I will need to travel via train, and would like my trip to be under 2 hours from Frankfurt, without complicated train connections. I can't speak or read German. I like beautiful scenery and visiting quaint towns. I'm not into partying or nightlife. Suggestions?

The Middle Rhine appeals to me, particularly the St. Goar area. But, would mid march be a good time to visit this area? None of the cruises are running yet (they begin April 1). Could I tour this area comfortably on foot in March? Are cabs readily available? Would Rudesheim or another city nearer to Frankfurt be a better option for mid March?

Thank you in advance for your responses!

2 replies to this topic
Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
reviews: 6
1. Re: St. Goar in March?

You don't need to walk or cruise the area - there are trains. Most Rhine towns are smallish and can be navigated easily on foot; trains run morning and night along both sides of the river, eliminating the need for taxis (unless you choose to stay somewhere outside town.)

March is typically a chilly month. But Marksburg Castle (Braubach) is open every day and Rheinfels (St. Goar) every day beginning mid-March (weekends before that.)

From Frankfurt you can take a direct train to any town on the east bank (Rüdesheim, Kaub, St.. Goarshausen, Braubach for example.) From Mainz, you can get a direct train to any town on the west bank. So if you stay in St. Goar, Bacharach, Boppard, or any of the west bank towns, you'll need to transfer once in Mainz. It's not a big deal.

If you stay in St. Goar, you could, however, take the (direct) east bank line to St. Goarshausen and ferry across the river to St. Goar. Ferries run all day. Use the same ferry to cross the river if you intend to visit Marksburg (Braubach.)

Rüdesheim tends to be touristy and more expensive than St. Goar, but it's a nice town for a look around.

New York City, New...
2. Re: St. Goar in March?

Thank you for the information. It was very helpful.

Reply to: St. Goar in March?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted