We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trips from Bingen

Which Bingen am Rhein hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Clarksville TN
reviews: 8
Day Trips from Bingen

I will be staying in Bingen for a week later this month. I will have a rail pass and plan to visit Bad Kreuznach (where I spent four years during my Army days), Mainz (to see the Gutenberg Museum, Koln (for the cathedral), and Rudesheim (for the fun) as well as visiting the Christmas markets in each city.

St Goar was on my list but I see that Rheinfels is closed for the winter. Any suggestions for other day trips that are accessible by train?

3 replies to this topic
Boppard, Germany
Destination Expert
for Boppard
reviews: 2
1. Re: Day Trips from Bingen

What railpass have you got? The places you mentioned, except Köln, are close to each other, so there may be cheaper options (day passes or even point-to-point tickets).

If you would like to visit a castle, you could see the Marksburg at Braubach. This is open even in winter. Take the train via Koblenz or the ferry to Rüdesheim and train from there.

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
reviews: 6
2. Re: Day Trips from Bingen

Yes, using a typical German railpass or Eurailpass for short trips like these is definitely expensive overkill! The Rheinland-Pfalz ticket is a regional daypass that allows roughly the same travel freedom at reasonable prices - 13€/day each if you're traveling as a couple, a little more for individuals. It's good as far as Bonn in the north (not Cologne.) To see Cologne, the Happy Weekend ticket gets you there cheaply on a Saturday or Sunday.

vrminfo.de/en/…

bahn.com/i/…happy_weekend_ticket.shtml

Agree that Marksburg is your best local castle tour. Check out Linz am Rhein, about 30 minutes north of Koblenz and maybe the most beautiful of all the Rhine villages; you could visit Linz and Marksburg on the same day.

www.rheinhoehenlauf.de/images/vg_ahc0240.gif

Edited: 8:17 am, December 05, 2013
Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
reviews: 6
3. Re: Day Trips from Bingen

Christmas markets: Rüdesheim's is terrific. Never been to the Linz market, but it's open on Sat and Sun. between 11:00 and 19:00 or 20:00.

Reply to: Day Trips from Bingen
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted