We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sonthofen snow fall

Which Oberstdorf hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reg4565
sonthofen snow fall

When does the main snow fall start in sonthofen? Also looking to drive there from the Uk just after Christmas, has anyone done it? Time scale? Advice? Thanks.

Colorado Springs...
reviews: 1
1. Re: sonthofen snow fall

Having lived for many years in Immenstadt, 9km from Sonthofen, our "rule of thumb" was to expect the first substantial snow fall between Christmas and New Year. But that's "averages", and you know people have drowned in an average of 2 inches of water.

www.weather.com gives weather forecasts and stats for Sonthofen. Figure that each 1/10" of precip. translates into an inch of snow, if the temps. are at or below freezeing.

Driving: Where will you hit the Continent? You should have fairly clear autobahn dirivng as far as Kempten, then you might encounter some snow. But they do a good job of keeping the autobahns clear. Generally, I would cut across to the A-7 as soon as possible. It is leass heavily travelled than the more western north - south autobahns.

Personally, I would fly to Munich, take the train to Sonthofen. There are good train and bus connections between S. and the main ski areas - - - Oberstrdorf, Kleines Walsertal (my favorite) , Fischen (Allgaeu). All these areas are in Bavaria, and you can use the heavily discounted Bayernkarte/Bavarian tcket.

For trains, check www.bahn.de

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
reviews: 37
2. Re: sonthofen snow fall

For driving information use www.viamichelin.com , I find their time estimates reasonable.

3. Re: sonthofen snow fall

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 31, 2010