We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beer

Which Bamberg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
5,925 posts
66 reviews
Beer

Looking for a pub or brewery that has good dark beers?

18 replies to this topic
San Jose
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
11,171 posts
82 reviews
1. Re: Beer

You are going to the right place then :-) Bamberg is a haven for beer lovers. Their specialty is the Rauchbier, which is a smoked beer style - lager, dark malts, hops that are smoked over beechwood - heaven in a glass.

Aecht Schlenkerla is probably the most well-known of the Bamberg breweries. You can eat and drink inside or in the open-air patio in the back, or you can get beer from the window and take it outside to the street to enjoy.

There are plenty of others as well. Here is a site about beer in Bamberg:

http://en.bamberg.info/en/erlebnis/bierstadt/

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
144 reviews
2. Re: Beer

The Rauchbier is an acquired taste, but once you acquire it......WOW! Unfortunately it can be hard to get back here in Oz. I agree with november_moon about Schlenkerla. We had a great time there, the place was packed and had a great atmosphere. We ended up sharing a table with a Polish couple, which made for a great evening.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
5,925 posts
66 reviews
3. Re: Beer

Thanks so much. Just the info I was hoping to get.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
12 reviews
4. Re: Beer

Hi All,

Is there any pub near the Train station that serves the smoked beer?

We want to try the taste, but we are just in town for a short layover to change train, so Schlenkerla is a bit far...

Thanks

Bamberg, Germany
Level Contributor
55 posts
46 reviews
5. Re: Beer

Spezial, on Obere Konigstrasse does. Short walk, and i find their beer better than Schlenkerla. Excellent food as well.

Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Level Contributor
1 post
6. Re: Beer

Excuse me, I wonder if I can get he Rauchbier elsewhere in Germany, since Bamberg is not on our traveling route.:( I am a beer lover, now I regret I skip Bamberg....

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
1,403 posts
18 reviews
7. Re: Beer

its pretty much a Bamberg thing, but if you check a good "craft beer" shop they should have it in stock.

I have also seen it in Karstadt department store in their beer section.

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
1,939 posts
28 reviews
8. Re: Beer

I am no expert on German beers but have just returned from Bavaria and enjoyed "dunkles" beers everywhere. These are dark wheat beers. A bit gassier than British beers but good dark and slightly sweet.

Bamberg, Germany
Level Contributor
55 posts
46 reviews
9. Re: Beer

Yes, you can find Schlenkerla (the largest brewer of it in the area) in other places in Germany. You can also get it in the US. Check here, they even have an app to find it. schlenkerla.de/verkauf/…deutschland.html

GA
Level Contributor
32 posts
10. Re: Beer

What would be the best pub to try? Will only be there a day on a river cruise,

Reply to: Beer
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bamberg