We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How far is the train station from the Altstadt?

Which Bamberg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
new york
How far is the train station from the Altstadt?

Is it walk able?

Thank you.

8 replies to this topic
Köln
1. Re: How far is the train station from the Altstadt?

Yes, it is walkable. Distance is around 1 km. The walk itself is quite enjoyable. If you have lots of luggage though you can take a bus or a taxi.

new york
2. Re: How far is the train station from the Altstadt?

Thank you.

Mainz, Germany
reviews: 37
3. Re: How far is the train station from the Altstadt?

Honestly, I wouldn't walk. It is rather 2 than 1 km and not an interesting or too pretty part of Bamberg. I'd take a bus at least over to the ZOB (central bus station), saves you 15-20 minutes of walking.

new york
4. Re: How far is the train station from the Altstadt?

Does the local train ticket, from nuremburg, include buses in bamberg?

Mainz, Germany
reviews: 37
5. Re: How far is the train station from the Altstadt?

Yes, all of Bamberg is in the same fare zone from Nuremberg, whether you go only as far as Hauptbahnhof or continue by bus.

Bamberg, Germany
reviews: 41
6. Re: How far is the train station from the Altstadt?

To clarify, that is if you have a Bayern ticket, or other offer that includes buses. My suggested walking route is down Luitpoldstraße, right at ObereKonigstraße, and then the first left will be Kettenbrücke, the bridge with all the love locks. That route (just mapped it) is .83 km. No, it´s not a pretty walk, but it´s just 10 minutes or so. :)

Nuremberg, Germany
7. Re: How far is the train station from the Altstadt?

Although OT, most of the love locks where removed a couple of weeks ago. ;)

Ohh, and 10 minutes is a pretty brisk walk to the Altstadt. But it is doable as I walked it several times myself. The walking back is the difficult part, at least if you had one of those Rauchbiers too many :)

Bamberg, Germany
reviews: 41
8. Re: How far is the train station from the Altstadt?

The love locks remain. Every few months they remove some of the really rusty ones. I only bother to clarify as I usually guide visitors over that bridge, as the locks make it a good of reference. Bamberg has so many bridges, it makes it easier to give a point of reference.

They threatened to remove the locks some time ago, but Stadt Marketing (and many locals) put up a fight.

Also, a slightly shorter, and prettier way to the Altstadt would be down Luitpoldstraße, right on Heiliggrabstraßse (you will see a rather pretty convent on the right hand side) left on Spitalstraße (first left) at the end of the street, by the Jesus statue make a quick right (you will be on Mittelstraße, a very pretty street with small flat houses, typical of gardeners in Bamberg), and then quick left on Letzengasse. This will bring you to the side of the Fässla. At the Fässla, make a right, and then cross the street. You will be at a) the best ice cream place in Bamberg, b) Kettenbrücke with the love locks and the Altstadt pedestrian zone. :)

Reply to: How far is the train station from the Altstadt?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bamberg