We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bamberg -- Getting around

Which Bamberg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
reviews: 1
Bamberg -- Getting around

Hi all

I will spend around 8 hours on a day trip in Bamberg. I would appreciate your brilliant tips on the following:

1. What kind of transport ticket (i.e. one day ticket) that I would need to stroll around Old town and major sites, mostly providing I am an avid walker.

2. What would you recommend me visiting providing I have only 8 hours to kill there?

3. What would be the best way to get to downtown (i.e. Old town?) from the main train station? and how safe is it to walk from there to downtown?

Many thanks

15 replies to this topic
singapore
reviews: 1
11. Re: Bamberg -- Getting around

Hi, can I find the Hop-on hop-off tour bus at the Bamberg train station please?

Bamberg, Germany
reviews: 41
12. Re: Bamberg -- Getting around

No, unfortunately you can not. Here is the english website for it. http://www.bambergerbahnen.de/index.php/en/

Newtownards, United...
reviews: 115
13. Re: Bamberg -- Getting around

It took us nearly 40mns to walk from the station to the old town...mainly walking down a typical town main street. We taxied back (6.5 euros) although I believe you can get a bus if you go to the ZOB (main bus station). There's lots to see, just stroll around...a lovely place.

Baltimore, Maryland
14. Re: Bamberg -- Getting around

During our visits to Bamberg we normally take the bus from the Bamberg Bahnhof to the "far side" of town. The starting spot is a favorite brew house, Klosterbräu ("Monastery Brew"), at Obere Mühlbrücke 1-3, 96049 Bamberg. The bus leaves from across the street from the train station and takes us to the bus depot in the old town (altstadt), called the ZOB. From there we catch another bus to one of two stops, Schillerplatz or the next stop, Schranne.

From the Klosterbräu we normally walk our way through town stopping to see the sights and visiting various beer houses. By the end of our day, at Mahr’s-Bräu, we are ready to hop a bus back to the train station.

Visit the Bamberg transit page for plenty of information. It is not always the easiest to navigate but has a ton of information including point-to-point instructions.

The VGN: http://www.vgn.de/en/bamberg?Edition=en

Somewhere along the line of exploring the website, the English and German versions (aided by Google Translate), I discovered two useful diagrams in the Bamberg Bus Timetable, the Bahnhof bus stops and ZOB bus stops, a great aid for finding your bus number. There is also a map of the bus lines.

Looks like I can't upload a file attachment in this message so will do elsewhere on the Bamberg pages.

Baltimore, Maryland
15. Re: Bamberg -- Getting around

I attempted to save some follow-on information to the Bamberg section but it was rejected my Trip Advisor. It included some diagrams/image files of the rail network, the ZOB and the main rail station. Instead they wanted me to wax on about Bamberg Altstadt. Those figures would have been helpful since the Bamberg transit site is very difficult to navigate although it does have some excellent point-to-point information.

TA used to have a nice section for cities and regions and countries like this one for Nuremberg that is still alive:

tripadvisor.com/AllReviews-g187310-Nuremberg…

Reply to: Bamberg -- Getting around
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bamberg