We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bamberg -- Getting around

Which Bamberg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
reviews: 1
Bamberg -- Getting around

Hi all

I will spend around 8 hours on a day trip in Bamberg. I would appreciate your brilliant tips on the following:

1. What kind of transport ticket (i.e. one day ticket) that I would need to stroll around Old town and major sites, mostly providing I am an avid walker.

2. What would you recommend me visiting providing I have only 8 hours to kill there?

3. What would be the best way to get to downtown (i.e. Old town?) from the main train station? and how safe is it to walk from there to downtown?

Many thanks

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
1. Re: Bamberg -- Getting around

If you're an avid walker you can easily explore the old city on foot.

bamberg.info/en/…

Bamberg has a dense bus network. Depending on the ticket you travel to/from Bamberg these may even be included (VGN day tickets, Bayern Ticket, Schönes-Wochenende-Ticket).

You can rent at the tourist office also an audio guide.

bamberg.info/en/…

> and how safe is it to walk from there to

You may be run over by a car. Obey the traffic lights. Or you could fall into the river Regnitz and drawn. Esp. when drinking too much Bamberg beer.

San Jose
Destination Expert
for California
reviews: 82
2. Re: Bamberg -- Getting around

We spend a couple days in Bamberg and walked everywhere we wanted to go. For people who like to walk, it is a very manageable size.

The train station is a bit of a walk - a couple miles, if memory serves - so you might want to just take a taxi.

New York City, New...
3. Re: Bamberg -- Getting around

Hi

Thanks for your advice. I will be using the Bayern ticket to travel from Munich to Bamberg. Once arriving at the central train station in Bamberg, do you know which bus I should take to go to the Old town. I will probably spend the whole day in the Old town before heading back to the train station to go back to Munich in the evening.

Thanks for advice, again

Köln
4. Re: Bamberg -- Getting around

The train station in Bamberg is not "a couple of miles" from the old town, but 1.1 km - 0.7 miles (Train station to Town hall) and the walk is not dull, so if you like explore a city on foot I would start right there.

New York City, New...
5. Re: Bamberg -- Getting around

Oh thanks. This is helpful because I would LOVE to walk .. It's a real pain sitting on the bus for 1.1 km ... I am a lot faster than the bus :)

San Jose
Destination Expert
for California
reviews: 82
6. Re: Bamberg -- Getting around

Thanks for the correction aichberger - that's why I put in the qualifier of "if memory serves" :-)

I also figured it Leo can make it from NYC to Bamberg, he can probably also read a map and see the distance for himself, so I wasn't overly concerned about exact distances.

New York City, New...
7. Re: Bamberg -- Getting around

No worries november_moon .. btw, Leo is a petite "she" not he :)

Thank you all for your advices .. So look forward to my trip!

Bamberg, Germany
reviews: 46
8. Re: Bamberg -- Getting around

Hi! Easily explorable by foot, but i recommend €8 or so 7 hills bus tour. It circles the city every hour and you get on and off as you wish.

Sights to see Dom, altes rathaus, pedestrian zone, st. Michaelsburg. On the 7 hills tour you would also get a ride to altenburg.

I live in Bamberg and consider it incredibly safe. I comfortably walk around at all hours.

New York City, New...
9. Re: Bamberg -- Getting around

Thank you for your brilliant tips which have been followed strictly :) Your advices not only saved me time but enhanced my experience in Bamberg significantly. I did took the Hop-on hop-off tour bus as recommended by mandy939 and couldn't stop feeling any more blessed for being the only one there (feel like a private tour) and got to see all world Heritage sites.

Happy holidays and Happy thanksgiving if you are Yankee :)

Seattle area
reviews: 16
10. Re: Bamberg -- Getting around

I am also an avid walker. I've walked from the Bamberg train station to the old town on several different visits. I like that you begin your walk from the train station in an active real city, (not a frozen-in-time tourist mecca). Then, as you cross the bridge over the river (what a spectacular sight that is), you enter the Altstadt, perfect for wandering in any direction.

You'll need a bit more stamina, though, to see some more historic sights--much of old Bamberg is quite hilly. I enjoyed every minute of my last two-day stay there. Unfortunately, in 8 hours, you probably won't have time to visit Vierzehnheiligen, an incredibly complex Baroque pilgrimage church several kilometers outside Bamberg, but you'll have so much to keep you occupied, and maybe also enjoy their great beers!

Get answers to your questions about Bamberg