We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to travel

Which Bamberg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
reviews: 1
Best way to travel

Please help! My mom and I will be traveling to Bamberg in March. It will be my first trip to Europe and her first to Germany. I have been trying to find the best way to get around to the places we would like to visit, but after going to 20 different sites online, I'm just confused. So here is what we would like to do - can someone please just simplify what mode of transportation would be best. We want to take the train, but which one and where do you get on and would we have to catch a bus from the station.......like I said - I'm confused

So.....

We will be staying at a hotel in Bamberg for 10 days (my cousin is there for a study abroad program) In Germany we want to visit Berlin, but not sure where else at this point - may let my cousin decide. We also want to go to Salzburg and Zurich at some point, and that's where I really need help. Are days trips a possibility, or would we be too rushed? Are Eurail stations only in major cities? If you have the cost, that will help too. Thanks

Hanau, Germany
reviews: 8
1. Re: Best way to travel

You can check travel times here, http://www.bahn.de/i/view/USA/en/index.shtm Bamberg - Zuerich 6-7 hours, Salzburg 5 hours, Berlin 4 hours with high speed trains, so not exactly day trips, those hours are one way not round trips.

For train travel read this http://www.seat61.com/

You are visiting a very pretty part of Germany, why not stay closer to Bamberg this is a lot closer fraenkische-schweiz.com/bilderbogen/en.html, read up here on the area www.frankentourismus.com/?setLanguage=true

If you go to the cities you mentioned you need at least one night there, one night in Berlin is nothing too much things to do and see.

One good thing if you stay closer around Bamberg you can use the Bayern (Bavaria) ticket for travel, that will save you a lot of money, you'll find it on Bahn.de also.

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
reviews: 43
2. Re: Best way to travel

"Eurail" is a pass, not a train. Mthe German train system is DeutscheBahn. Uta gave you the link to their website. It is the best one for planning travel in Germany ( and the rest of Europe) and very easy to use. Do not even look at Rail Europe as they show only selected trains.

The main train station ( Hauptbahnhof) in most cities is right downtown, in the center. in Bamberg, there are hotels with easy walking distance of the station. ( I know that because we will be staying at one next week). In larger cities, you may need to take a bus or taxi from the station go get to you hotel or sightseeing goal.

Bamberg is pretty central in Germany, but still several hours by train from the places you mention. Not really daytrips. There is lots so see closer to Bamberg.

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
reviews: 99
3. Re: Best way to travel

You have come to the right place to learn about travel! People on this forum can help with many questions.

First I'd advise getting a guide book on Germany and studying it, particularly the part about the state of Bavaria, which is where Bamberg is located. Get an idea of some of the outstanding places near Bamberg, such as Regensburg and Nuremberg (both day trip options), and then make tentative plans. Post them on this site and see what people think.

As the previous poster said, don't bother with the Eurail site as it is just a ticket reseller. The German transportation system is very good, and almost every tiny little village has a train stop or at least a bus stop. You can get bargain tickets for travel around Bavaria, using the Bayern ticket as earlier mentioned. Salzburg is a good trip from Munich, also on the Bayern ticket. Here's a link about that. www.toytowngermany.com/wiki/Bayern_ticket

Atlanta, Georgia
4. Re: Best way to travel

Thank you all so much - good information. Now I'm thinking maybe just spending more time in and around Bamberg, and not trying to cram so much into 10 days, may be the smartest thing to do.

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
reviews: 99
5. Re: Best way to travel

Have you seen this, the website for Bamberg? I think your idea of spending more time in and around Bamberg is a good one. I went to a two-week conference near Bamberg and there were plenty of things to see around the area: spas, fascinating churches, fortresses, medieval walled towns. Many places that you've probably never heard of are almost as equally fascinating as the big cities. Unsolicited advice: staying in small guesthouses is a better bargain, and you get to know the people and culture better too, than staying in a big hotel with a familiar name.

http://www.bamberg.info/en/

Atlanta, Georgia
6. Re: Best way to travel

Ok - you convinced me lol. I guess I didn't realize all Bamberg had to offer. I still have to get to Austria for the Sound of Music tour - I know it's about as touristy as you can get, but it's my favorite movie ever, and the real reason I've always wanted to visit the area. Any advice on that? :)

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
reviews: 43
7. Re: Best way to travel

Bamberg to Salzburg is a four- jour trip one way. What time does the tour start? It might be hard to get there in time for that day's tour. Mwho not spend the night? Msalzburg is very enjoyable, and you could take the tour the next day and then return to Bamberg.

8. Re: Best way to travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, September 16, 2014