We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train ticket to Nuremberg.

Which Bamberg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 81
train ticket to Nuremberg.

I have to travel from Bamberg to Nuremberg. I have looked on the Bahn website but there isn't any real fares there aside from one fare for 29EU in the morning. I selected regional transport and there is nothing showing up for fares. From what I understand I buy a Bayern ticket for 2 and just hop on any train.

Would that be correct, there is no need to to make any reservation? Just buy a train ticket without reservation and go!

Thank you.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
1. Re: train ticket to Nuremberg.

Bamberg and Nuremberg are inside the same local public transport association, the VGN. Thus the VGN tariff applies which is not shown by the DB timetable. While you can do this trip on a Bayern Ticket, cheaper is to use a VGN TagesTicket Plus. A day ticket for up to 6 persons - albeit only 2 of them must be older than 17 years. You need the version covering the whole VGN area which is EUR 16,80.

http://vgn.de/tickets/?Edition=en&p=1

- no past 9am restriction like with the Bayern Ticket on weekdays

- if bought on a Saturday this ticket is also good for Sunday

Seat reservations are on regional trains not possible at all.

And are also not compulsory in Germany with long distance trains either (exceptions: night trains and the few ICE Sprinter). Thus you can always just buy a ticket and go. With long distance trains not the cheapest option as for these you can get discounted specials in advance. The specials for regional trains (like the Bayern Ticket or the VGN tickets) are always available and can be (and are) best bought on spot.

Edited: 5:20 pm, March 01, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 81
2. Re: train ticket to Nuremberg.

thank you again for your helpful information.

Nuremberg, Germany
3. Re: train ticket to Nuremberg.

VGN Tarif Class 7 (Preisstufe 7) is sufficient for Bamberg to Nuremberg. The Tagesticket Plus will be € 14.- covering the 2 of you.

4. Re: train ticket to Nuremberg.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 04, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Bamberg