We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bamberg or regensburg

Which Bamberg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
LONDON
reviews: 31
bamberg or regensburg

we stayed in nuremberg 5 years ago for newyears and had a great time we saw both these lovely towns, we would like to see them in the summer in early september.But cant quite remember the differences between them we,d like to base are selfeves in one or the other and travel around baveria can any one help? which ione has the best nite life pubs and bars?

Salt Lake City
reviews: 15
1. Re: bamberg or regensburg

Both are beautiful towns. I prefer Regensburg for a visit but I bet others feel the opposite. You can get a good beer in the evening at either although Bamberg is more famous for its brew. Both are university towns so I assume that you can find adequate night life at either. A quiet beer is more my style.

Although I prefer Regensburg as a town; I think the area is a bit more scenic near Bamberg: Coburg, Vierzehnheiligen church, Bayreuth, Franconian Alps, etc. Neither is handy to the Bavarian Alps.

For my tastes, either can be (has been) a good destination.

Regards, Gary

San Jose
Destination Expert
for California
reviews: 74
2. Re: bamberg or regensburg

Bamberg is a mecca for beer lovers, so that would be my choice, but I don't think you'll go wrong either way.

Bamberg, Germany
reviews: 24
3. Re: bamberg or regensburg

I agree with the two previous answers. Remember that Bamberg is much smaller than Regensburg, so there of course are less bars and pubs - but still more than enough to have a great time! The atmosphere might be even a little more picturesque and cosy in Bamberg, but both are beautiful towns.

You could base you decision on where else you want to go. Bamberg is a perfect base for the whole Franconian area, i.e. all places Trikist has listed, Würzburg, Kulmbach, Weißenstein Castle, Pottenstein and many more. Regensburg is much more convenient for Passau, Munich, Landshut, and Bavarian Forest.

LONDON
reviews: 31
4. Re: bamberg or regensburg

thanks a lot for your swift replies , so to sum up would you say bamgerg is smaller but has got more in the way of surrounding country side we,r leaning more towards bamberg thanks to wiesengrund for pointing out bamberg is a smaller town even though we,v been to both my memory is a little patchy

Nuremberg, Germany
5. Re: bamberg or regensburg

I like Bamberg for Brews and it got good nite life as well. But if you want to base yourself for a holiday then I'd say go for Regensburg as you have a lot of great day trip options from there.

E.g. Passau, Munich, Zwiesel, Weltenburg Monastery, Walhalla, Linz, Pilzen etc.

6. Re: bamberg or regensburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, November 25, 2013