We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Motorhome parking for Tour July 15-19, 2013

Which L'Alpe-d'Huez hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
reviews: 58
Motorhome parking for Tour July 15-19, 2013

I have rented a motorhome in Lyon on July 15, planning to drive up to Alp-d Huez that afternoon.

Does anyone have any advice/tips re stocking up with food/drinks, parking/camping etc.

Any comments would be most welcome no matter how trivial.

I have been dreaming of doing this for years.

Viva le Tour

5 replies to this topic
Chesterfield...
reviews: 16
1. Re: Motorhome parking for Tour July 15-19, 2013

I believe there is parking for Motorhomes on Avenue Rif Nel, on Chemin de Fond Morelle and at a designated Aire at the Altiport – a Google Map search will show them - but anywhere in that area will be very busy during the Tour and, if I remember correctly, there could be roads closed around the time you are there.

As for food and drink – there are plenty of local shops in l'Alpes D'Huez – I don't think you'll starve.

For expert advice on Motorhome Aires and camping in France have a look at the forums here – www.motorhomefacts.com

New York City, New...
reviews: 58
2. Re: Motorhome parking for Tour July 15-19, 2013

Keith, thanks for your prompt reply, doing a google streetview of the town, there did not appear to be many shops. I was thinking about going to a Carrefour before driving up. I'll check out motorhomefacts

Thanks

Oz en Oisans, France
reviews: 3
3. Re: Motorhome parking for Tour July 15-19, 2013

Hello, couple of ideas for you:

After picking up your motorhome in Lyon you will be going on the A480 past Grenoble and the shopping area of Espace Comboire. This is just before junction 8 which you will take to go up the roads leading up to the 'Station des Oisans' and Alpe d'Huez. There is a large ELeclerc supermarket. Stock up there. The shops in Borg Oisans and AdH are MUCH more expensive.

As for parking, motorhomes start arriving and picking their spot on the bends to watch the tour up to 3 weeks prior to its arrival! You can park mainly anywhere its safe to do so and you are not an obstruction. It will be very busy up the bends ( expected about 1 million people in the area that day) and you are very unlikely to find anywhere on the bends to park arriving on the 15th.

You could park up in Oz Station and then get the ski lifts over to AdH. The parking there should be easier and I expect that there will also be a number of shops/restaurants open. You will also be able to drive from there up to the Croix de Fer for the next day - but again expect it to be VERY busy with LOADS of cars/ motorhomes etc

Enjoy the Tour.

Stirling, United...
reviews: 1
4. Re: Motorhome parking for Tour July 15-19, 2013

Dont under estimate the number of folks who will already be present. The Aires on the mountain and nearby will be jam packed full of folks for at least 1-2 weeks before the tour passes through. The roads will get closed when the police decide to close them, generally, this will be when they feel that there is no more space for more motorhomers/cars wild camping on the mountain. They will just turn you around. This will happen maybe 3 days before the tour passes through. Alpe d' Huez is likely to be extremely popular since one gets to see the tour on the climb twice over.

Whatever the case, the night before the tour, the roads get closed. One can still walk up and cycle up, but its unlikely one will get to the summit, and there will be 10's of thousands of others doing the same.

Personally, I would suggest attempting to find parking in Le Bourg d' Ossians (anywhere, not just Aires), then walking up the road (follow the crowds) to find yourself a spot early doors on the 18th.

Your other option is to do what we shall do, watch from Lac du Chambon - the tour passes over the dam at the western end of the lake after ascending to Alpe d' Huez the first time. You only get to see the tour once, but you'll likely get a far far better view from here than from the Honeypot location that is Alpe d' Huez.

Tour comes over this dam: http://goo.gl/maps/avkxK

Option to watch the descent here: http://goo.gl/maps/j55ua although beware that you are best on a climb to see owt!

Plenty of parking options if the village is chocca (which it will be), i.e: http://goo.gl/maps/LuocB

Oh... and if you get up on the Alpe D' Huez road, beware the time required to get back out again. With a million odd folks and 1000's of motorhomes it might take a day to get back down.

Nigel

Edited: 12:35 pm, June 21, 2013
L'Alpe-d'Huez...
reviews: 1
5. Re: Motorhome parking for Tour July 15-19, 2013

Motorhome parking now available in Alpe D'Huez . charl3888@hotmail.com

Reply to: Motorhome parking for Tour July 15-19, 2013
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about L'Alpe-d'Huez