We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

currently in camargue for 4 days with a car

Which Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Austin Texas
currently in camargue for 4 days with a car

last minute information needed if possible..my husband and i are staying in a gite south of arles..we have explored some today [incredibly beautiful even in winter] of the bird sanctuary etc..if anyone has any thoughts on other places to go and things to do..favorite little villages?..wine area of giorides [sorry for the misspell..keyboard here is not great] which is north of avigon and south of orange?

thanks in advance..

we love local local..food and wine...and are not afraid to stumble with our limited french..

thanks, marilyn hill-henderson

Ohio, USA
reviews: 4
1. Re: currently in camargue for 4 days with a car

Have you been to Aigues-Mortes? Arles? St-Rémy and Les Baux? The Pont du Gard? Nîmes? Avignon?

There are wineries near Les Baux.

If you do not have a Michelin green guide to Provence (or something similar) you can probably find the Englis-language version in Arles or Nîmes even in the depth of winter.

UK
2. Re: currently in camargue for 4 days with a car

The big name wine between Avignon and Orange is Chateauneuf-du-Pape.

The only one I can think of which may be what you're aiming for is Gigondas, which is a pretty village with a couple of nice restaurants on the square (at least, they look nice in summer, but I haven't been at this time of year).

Just a bit north, Seguret is listed as one of the most beautiful villages in France.

However, they are all some distance to travel if you are staying south of Arles.

http://www.viamichelin.com/ will provide routes and timings.

Destination Expert
for Provence
reviews: 2
3. Re: currently in camargue for 4 days with a car

Hi Marilyn,

Just sent you a PM within the last hour os so, in response to your earlier PM to me asking the same questions.

Edited: 1:25 pm, January 21, 2011
Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
4. Re: currently in camargue for 4 days with a car

As I too replied to a PM, and I have nothing against PMs, I think it best that I post my response as the information may, or may not, be useful to others reading this thread. You will see that my answer is very similar to that of others who have posted.

_______

Good to hear you are having a good time.

As this is mainly a beach area, much of what draws people here is closed until May or June. Still, there are good restaurants particularly if you like seafood.

I should not miss Aigues-Mortes (there are tours nearby of Listel Winery or La Baleine Saltworks), you can tour the Perrier facility near Montpellier, Nimes itself has the Colosseum, la Maison Carée, Pont du Gar, or Usèz. Once you cross the Rhone River going west you are technically in Languedoc so I recommend stopping by Carrefour or some other place that sells guide books and pickup a book on Languedoc (Roussillon is that area around Perpignan but it is also a town in Provence).

It´s difficult to quickly give you ideas without knowing some of your interests.

You could hear back toward western Provence, there is also St. Rémy de Provence and les Baux de Provence, the Alpiles, the Luberon or visiting Vaison la Romain which is in the heart of the Rasteau wine region.

You could easily spend 2-3 weeks exploring just the areas I have mentioned.

Hope this helps

Tampa, Florida
reviews: 9
5. Re: currently in camargue for 4 days with a car

Rasteau region?

The folks in Gigondas, Cairanne, Sablet, Baumes-le-Venice, Vinsobre, Cotes-du-Ventoux, et al would be a little surprised to hear that they're in the Rasteau region.

Rasteau is but one of the dozens of villages in the *Cotes du Rhone" region that produce lovely big red wines.

(But I know you knew that, Sarastro :) )

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
6. Re: currently in camargue for 4 days with a car

OK Sunshine, you are right, Rasteau is a favorite of mine. Did it show?

Tampa, Florida
reviews: 9
7. Re: currently in camargue for 4 days with a car

only a little.

Aubrey, Texas
reviews: 145
8. Re: currently in camargue for 4 days with a car

Arles is 1.5 hours drive from the Luberon or Cassis, The other suggestions are good as well.

Austin Texas
9. Re: currently in camargue for 4 days with a car

thank you all so very much for your wonderfully helpful replies both in the forum and in personal messages..i just needed some direction and now we can be off and running..am sure you are all right, too far and too little time for the gigondas/sablet area..maybe next time..

just needed someone to tell me that and remind me of all the great places we have right around us..this area is incredible! am sure spring/fall is great too but the sun is bright and if you are dressed for it, the winter is a splendid time to be here..i think.

had a really nice dinner at chez bob's last night..in villeneuve..open in the winter on weekends..in case anybody needs that for future..

again, thank you all so very much..you are very appreciated you made a big difference in my anxiety level to 'do the most we can with our short time' ..best, marilyn

10. Re: currently in camargue for 4 days with a car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:21 am, January 27, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Saintes-Maries-de-la-Me...