We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marseille or Cassis or La Ciotat for Les Calanques trip??

Which La Ciotat hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bainbridge, New York
reviews: 1
Marseille or Cassis or La Ciotat for Les Calanques trip??

Hello,

I am coming in from Avignon to spend a day and night in one of these three places in order to see Les Calanques, then take a train to Paris the next day (in May). I have found hotels/B & B's to stay in all 3 places, so that's not a problem, but what I want to do is go where I can have the best boat trip to see the most calanques. If Marseille is fine for that, I would probably choose that, since it only costs more to take the train to Cassis or La Ciotat. The other question is how to get from my hotel (not chosen yet) to the port for the boat trip, as we won't be renting a car.

There are 3 of us, coming in the later morning, hoping to get the boat tour asap (or check in hotel first), then just have supper, stay the night, and take a 9 or 10 a.m. train to Paris. REALLY want to avoid any nude or topless beaches IF POSSIBLE!! :)

I couldn't find a specific answer to this question in any forum.

Any suggestions as to the best plan??

THANKS!

Michele

6 replies to this topic
Aix-en-Provence
reviews: 4
1. Re: Marseille or Cassis or La Ciotat for Les Calanques trip??

Hi Michele,

This company leaves from Marseille for visits to The Calanques.

croisieres-marseille-calanques.com/en/circui…

In Marseille, you'll have metros and buses, or a cab to get around to the Vieux Port ( harbour).

The Metro site is http://www.rtm.fr/ ( in French) but your hotel will help no doubt.

Maybe you'd be interested in this page I update with pictures and everyday tips on Facebook called "Visit Provence": http://www.facebook.com/VisitProvence

Best'

Caroline

Edited: 2:40 pm, March 28, 2012
Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
2. Re: Marseille or Cassis or La Ciotat for Les Calanques trip??

If you stay in Cassis, you can just walk to the port and choose from among a half dozen boats making hourly trips to les calanques.

I wouldn´t necessarily stay in la Ciotat. I find either of the other two locations much more interesting. Frankly the massive shipyard at la Ciotat is rather unsightly.

Bainbridge, New York
reviews: 1
3. Re: Marseille or Cassis or La Ciotat for Les Calanques trip??

Hi,

Thanks for your response! I was thinking because of time constraints (taking a train from Avignon, staying one day to see les calanques, then train to Paris the next day), we would train into Marseille, then either see the calanques from Marseille or Cassis.....is there a nice boat tour from Marseille, do you know?? We'd like to see the nicer calanques, and I've read those are closer to Cassis.

Thanks!

Michèle

UK
4. Re: Marseille or Cassis or La Ciotat for Les Calanques trip??

<< .is there a nice boat tour from Marseille >>

It's on the first link posted by CarolineProvence. If you download the brochure on that website, you can see they offer circuits of 6 or12 calanques, and there is a map and pictures of the individual calanques, so you can see what you're getting.

The trips from Cassis include one with just 3 calanques which obviously takes a lot less time.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
5. Re: Marseille or Cassis or La Ciotat for Les Calanques trip??

Thanks Diz, I was not sure how to respond to post #3.

Michele - if you are trying to accomplish this in just one day, go to Marseille. Taking the train to Cassis will require your changing trains in Marseille anyway and the Cassis train station is some distance from the port meaning you´ll either need to call a taxi or wait for the bus. All of these extra steps take time which you probably do not have available.

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Marseille, Aix-en-Provence
reviews: 3
6. Re: Marseille or Cassis or La Ciotat for Les Calanques trip??

Agree: if you only have one day, you should definitely go from Marseille. You'll waste too much time travelling over to Cassis.

That said, anybody reading these posts who has more time to spare might be better advised starting out from Cassis, as the more spectacular calanques are closer to the town. You can take trips of varying lengths starting from Cassis port. More info about the calanques: http://bit.ly/I9rE58

Reply to: Marseille or Cassis or La Ciotat for Les Calanques trip??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about La Ciotat