We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Ciotat - nice?

Which La Ciotat hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
La Ciotat - nice?

I have found an apartment to rent in La Ciotat, and as I dont know the place Im looking for some advice. Some of my friends say that the area in and around Marseille is not nice and that I should better go for Cote d'Azur. So in short, is La Ciotat far enough from Marseille to be nice?

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
reviews: 4
1. Re: La Ciotat - nice?

<<<Some of my friends say that the area in and around Marseille is not nice and that I should better go for Cote d'Azur>>>

It is relatively simple to find an agreeable beach along the Cote d'Azur. The Golfe de Lyon is dotted with beautiful locations, i.e. Collioure, Cassis, perhaps Bandol but other areas are not as alluring to tourists.

While there is a quaint port area in La Ciotat, there is also a large industrial port which visually detracts from the area's natural beauty.

As for visiting this area, why not. La Ciotat has relatively good bus/train connections to other locations in the area. Cassis is not far as is Marseille. For a complete rundown on the area's tourist activities:

http://www.tourisme-laciotat.com/

UK
Destination Expert
for Provence
reviews: 77
2. Re: La Ciotat - nice?

one of my mates visited there coupla years ago and said it was full of good cheap restos. I found it a bit too industrial 4 my taste. Try Bandol Cassis or Hyeres instead perhaps

Bradford, Yorkshire
reviews: 32
3. Re: La Ciotat - nice?

Called at La Ciotat while touring last month. Yes there is a working port at one end, but the frontage stretches quite some distance and you don't need to be near it.

Even in May it was a fairly busy bustling place, and it has lots eating and drinking facilities. The backdrop is not as picturesque as the Cote d'Azur, but it has long beaches. It is also far more a French area than the international Cote d'Azur with its American and Brit tourist magnets.

On the same bay is St Cyr, next bay east is Bandol, the next bay is Sannary-sur-Mer with long beach to Six-Fours. Plenty worth a visit.

London
reviews: 6
4. Re: La Ciotat - nice?

We regularly stay long weekends with friends who live there.

If you want a beachy holiday and/or if you want to visit places from there, it's fine. There are some lovely towns and sites nearby like Cassis.

There's a pleasant promenade along the beach and some reasonable places to eat, but there isn't much going on in La Ciotat itself.

5. Re: La Ciotat - nice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:21 am, September 30, 2009