We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marseille to Cassis without a car

Which Cassis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
Marseille to Cassis without a car

Hello, We'd love to include Cassis and Les Calanques into our 10 day trip to France, with about 3 nights in Cassis and 7 nights in Paris. We'll be flying into CDG and then taking the flight to Marseille. We don't want to stay in Marseille. I'm trying to avoid having to rent a car b/c I hate to drive, especially in a foreign country, b/c of the expense, and potential parking issues. I was thinking of taking a taxi from Marseille airport into Cassis (100E?) or taking the bus to the train station, then the train, then cab to the hotel. I would take a cab to the train station and then the train to Marseille and then on to Paris after my 3 night stay in Cassis. Is this plan doable or did I miss something? Would a cab from Marseille airport cost about 100E or more? Is there a bus I could take from Cassis to La Ciotat to see Cretes Le Ciotat and go to the market? A bus to Badol? Thank you for your help!

London, UK
Destination Expert
for Train Travel, Olympics
reviews: 189
1. Re: Marseille to Cassis without a car

Cassis, Bandol and La Ciotat are all on the railway line between Marseille and Toulon which has a regular service. These stations are not in the town centres, particularly Cassis so you may need a taxi or bus as well.

Philadelphia, PA
Destination Expert
for Cassis, Marseille, Manosque, Alpes-de-Haute-Provence
reviews: 3
2. Re: Marseille to Cassis without a car

Last year I inquired about the taxi fare from Marseille to Cassis and you are right on the nose, approximately 100€. Of course, daytime vs nighttime fare and weekday vs weekend come into play.

You could take the train from the airport (or bus) to Gare Saint Charles in Marseille and then take the train to Cassis, then a taxi or the shuttle bus from the station in Cassis to your hotel, if you don't mind the extra time, effort an hasstle. If you do not mind the expense, do the taxi and the 40mn trip...

Renting a car won't be a lot more than the 200€ for the return taxi ride, but your other points remain valid. All I can say in defense of renting a car is that it is all highway and pretty cut and dry between the airport in Marseille and Cassis, and then you are pretty free to move about in an uncomplicated small perimeter of La Ciotat, Bandol,... As someone stated quite approrpiately, public transportation rarely goes where and when tourists want them to... You could then drive "La Route des Cretes" between Cassis and la Ciotat and enjoy the view where as I am not sure buses go that route even though there are buses between the two towns.

Parking is a problem if you are there in July or August, however, there are pay parking lots too. If for some reason you do rent a car, there is one security issue that was brought to my attention. A visitor had his rental vehicle stolen while out of his vehicle to ring the bell at the hotel gate. Fortunatetly this does not happen all the time, just caution needed.

California
3. Re: Marseille to Cassis without a car

Railtraveller65,

Thank you for your reply!

California
4. Re: Marseille to Cassis without a car

LouGari,

Thank you so much for your input, advice and warning. I assume that weekday taxi fare is lower than weekend one, is that correct? Overpriced as it is at 100E, I'd like to have options after more than 11 hours in the air... . 200E for the return ride? Are you calculating it as round-trip or does it actually cost double to go from Cassis to Marseille airport by taxi? We were planning to go from Cassis to Paris by train (taxi to the train station and then train all the way to Paris, I suppose with a train transfer in Marseille), but it's still useful info on the taxi. As far as driving, we will be in Cassis in May. How's parking in May? And what's the best way to rent a car? I only checked with Hertz and the quote for three days on a four-dour automatic was about 350-400E, and that was for a ford focus, nothing fancy. So I figured that even if we got a taxi from airport to Cassis and then a few cab rides while in town, and then train back to Marseille, it would still be a lot less than car rental. Would curb our freedom of movement, but no parking/accident issues either. I would have definitely gone with a rental car for a week stay, but very torn on three nights. Thank you for your help!

Philadelphia, PA
Destination Expert
for Cassis, Marseille, Manosque, Alpes-de-Haute-Provence
reviews: 3
5. Re: Marseille to Cassis without a car

Hello SienaBella

Yes 200€ is both ways 2x 100 sorry for the confusion. The ride from the airport to Cassis and Cassis to the train station will be about the same price ~ 100€, maybe a bit less for the train station as the airport is yet beyond in Marignane.

May will be fine for parking and driving as you will not have beach traffic.

We almost always rent with CITER which is National/Citer they have the best prices wwww.citer.fr. I just did a search and a rental for 3 days pick up airport /return train station is about 200€, less if you prepay online. Small automatic vehicle but for 2 and in France that is fine!

Then it really boils down to what you are comfortable with.

UK
6. Re: Marseille to Cassis without a car

There appears to be a bus service from Cassis town centre to la Ciotat, but not via the route des cretes: http://www.lepilote.com/img/_info/FH0072.pdf There are other services on from la Ciotat to Bandol (also on the 'Pilote' site).

The tourist office recommends a walking or cycling route - if you're reasonably active you could walk one way and take public transport back: ot-cassis.com/us/…cap_canaille.php

UK
Destination Expert
for Provence
reviews: 83
7. Re: Marseille to Cassis without a car

I stayed in cassis for a week a couple of years ago and didn't have a car and couldn't afford taxis (100 euro each time? that's two swanky dinners out and I can tell you how I'd rather spend the money!). I relied on the train and buses. This is the bus timetable for the shuttle between the town and the station:

lepilote.com/img/…Marcouline_Horaires_M1.pdf

It's about 2 miles downhill from the station to the town so walkable if you haven't got luggage. One alternative you might want to look at is using the train and asking the hotel to organise a taxi from the station to the hotel for you for the first time. the main issue with the bus/train option is the connections - in the middle of the day you can wait a long time for the next train or bus, as the timetables are designed to get people to work/school.

California
8. Re: Marseille to Cassis without a car

Thanks everyone for all the help!!! I will check out the CITER and the shuttle service. Thank you again for your advice and recommendations.

9. Re: Marseille to Cassis without a car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 02, 2010