We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling from Calais by road.

Which Les Sables-d'Olonne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sonning Common UK
Travelling from Calais by road.

I've lost previous info on this so can anyone remind me please if

there are any Viaducts or High Bridges anywhere on the route from Calais to Les Sables, I already know about the two just outside Boulogne on the A16,

I need to know if there are any others please and if there are ...how to avoid them if I make that trip.

I am an acrophobic (terror of heights) so would appreciate any help.

Thanks

18 replies to this topic
Sonning Common UK
11. Re: Travelling from Calais by road.

Thanks Judy . You are a gem. I truly appreciate your help with this and can't thank you enough.

Best regards

Ken

Sonning Common UK
12. Re: Travelling from Calais by road.

Hi to all TA folk.

You have already no doubt worked out that I am a bit of a twit due to the fact that I am unable to work out a route to Les Sable d'Olonne or even Trouville or Deauville due to being cursed with my dreaded "Acrophobia" ie not being able to drive over Viaducts or High Bridges.

Due to my ripe old age "Mrs Beanyboy" has put her foot down at driving down to the south again due to it being too-longajourney" so I am lumbered to have to take a holiday on the North West Coast or North Coast.

Tis a great shame 'cos I do like the sun but we both like having the advantage of taking the car ie without having to lug cases on trains etc etc

All I am asking now before I get to old to drive at all or probably the case, of you guys getting totally fed up with me ) is , if anyone knows if there is any organisation in France or the UK for that matter who has knowledge on ALL Autoroutes or ordinary roads and then the location ie the pinpointing of viaducts and high bridges.

If I am going to be unlucky then all I can say is trillions of thanks for your patience and I'll give up try ig to get a holiday in France by road.

Best wishes to all ( especailly to Judy Bart who has been fantastically helpful in days gone past)

Guildford, England
reviews: 11
13. Re: Travelling from Calais by road.

I can't not reply to you Ken. Have you thought about using Auto-train from Paris to the South? See what the maninseat61 has to say

http://www.seat61.com/Motorail.htm#Auto-Train

When my kids were young and the train went from Calais we used it all the time.

Sorry cannot help with the viaducts.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney, Berny Riviere
reviews: 37
14. Re: Travelling from Calais by road.

Beanyboy, probably superfluous but have you tried desensitisation?

I had a SIGNIFICANT issue with the Queen Elizabeth II bridge in London a few years ago. Significant to the point where my GP had to give me meds to take before we crossed it. I don't like heights anyhow (sadly I can't go to Thomond Park Rugby Stadium which is very close to me, because I get so nervous in the stands). But I became doubly nervous when we crossed a couple of days after the 2005 bombings. And I knew the following year we were going to be driving over it again on our way to Dover.

So I spent about 30 minutes each evening, for approximately 6 weeks before our trip, looking at the bridge from many different angles and allowing myself relax at the same time. I looked at it from a distance and from underneath and from every angle I could get on-line photos of. And on the day, yes I WAS nervous. Very nervous. Didn't sleep the night before. Probably had half a bottle of rescue remedy taken. Had a row in the car with hubby because I nearly made him avoid the bridge. But what I did was look at it through my camera as we drove up and I continued to look at it through the camera lens - it effectively put a psychological barrier between the bridge and me. And then I said I'd quickly look out over the camera and the self-directed therapy worked. I was still nervous - the tall buildings at the end of the bridge really mess up your depth perception because you realise you are 20 or 22 stories high and that isn't pleasant (I struggle to go higher than the 2nd floor in buildings). But I managed it. And I managed to drive over the Millau Bridge in 2009.

The thing about desensitisation the way I did it is that it doesn't cost you and you are in control of the situation. And if you do it on your own, nobody knows you are doing it therefore nobody knows if you are going to fail ;o)

In terms of actually driving the routes, it would be time consuming but if you go to www.googlemaps.com and key in Calais then follow the various roads out of Calais and use the yellow man to see what the roads are like, you could work out a route. Even if you just looked at maps and honed in on the more vulnerable areas (estuaries etc) you might work something out. I do know that the off-motorway routes are less likely to have the higher bridges.

There is one big high long bridge near Boulogne and also a shorter one. And then the next one is the Pont de Normandie - but there is a less high bridge (Pont de Tankarville) further inland. There is less of a sensation of going over a high bridge. And after that you should be pretty OK once you stick near the coast.

There is also a high bridge on the Caen Peripherique but I can't remember whether its Nord or Sud (I HATE that flippin road!!) and there is also another one in St Nazaire but its not particularly high.

Hope this helps even a little bit. My heart goes out to you!!

Edited: 6:14 am, April 27, 2014
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney, Berny Riviere
reviews: 37
15. Re: Travelling from Calais by road.

Hubby and myself were just talking and looking at google maps and Caen and if you take the Peripherique Sud you will avoid the viaduct near Herouville Saint Clair

Sonning Common UK
16. Re: Travelling from Calais by road.

Thanks judy, as always you are a star. Yep we thoroughly checked out the motorail idea but twas too expensive for us and the logistics and timings especially of late would be something that we could not have coped with.

Bean A....wow that was a great reply.Many thanks indeed . Your idea howeve is not some thing that would cure me im afraid. I have tried everything including something like you suggest but it did not work.

I will look into your other things and have made a note.

I just put this post in thinking that someone out there might have known of an organisation that knew of viaducts and bridges over autoroutes.

Best regards to Judy and Bean A.........grateful thanks too.

Guildford, England
reviews: 11
17. Re: Travelling from Calais by road.

How about not so far south? Burgundy or Beaujolais? I drive that route all the time and I do not remember anything scary. Or does it have to be the sea? I can understand that.

Sonning Common UK
18. Re: Travelling from Calais by road.

Hi .again Judy

Thanks again and you are right , I dont feel as if I have been on holiday unless we can get on the beach and have a paddle etc in the heat of course.

But thankyou for yet another helpful idea. I will have to keep on thinking to see if I can find a way around the problem.

All the very best.

Reply to: Travelling from Calais by road.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Les Sables-d'Olonne