We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Base for self drive tour of battlefields

Which Arras hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 61
Base for self drive tour of battlefields

What would be a good base for a 3 day self drive tour of the battlefields? Arras, Albert, Amiens or.... Does anyone have a preference? Appreciate your advice

Takapuna, New...
reviews: 34
1. Re: Base for self drive tour of battlefields

I can't comment on Albert or Amiens, but my wife and I stayed in Arras at the Ibis Centre and really enjoyed the town. It is a charming, compact town, we got free on street parking outside the hotel and visited the beaches, the American Cemetery and Carriere Wellington, all self tour. Booked the hotel online for €46 per night double - king size bed, wifi, a/c.

Edited: 1:51 am, September 18, 2012
Essex
reviews: 71
2. Re: Base for self drive tour of battlefields

As stated above, Arras is a lovely town, have visited there on a number of occasions now, but never stayed there. Think it would make a nice base though.

Amiens I stayed in a couple of years ago. I found it a really nice city. The Cathedral is stunning, the Hortillonages are intriguing and then you have the Jules Verne House/Museum, the Saint-Leu area on the canal and a pedestrianised centre with some lovely squares to sit out in.

IF you want a single base, then either of those would be good, but they cover different areas of the 'front'.

If you want to move about a bit, then Verdun would make a good stop-off further west, a now very nice town in a river loop and close to the Chemin des Dames.

Other towns 'around' that you could consider for overnighters include Soissons, Laon, Compiegne I have either stayed at, or visited all of them.

Reims also, but that again is a larger city, and a bit further south.

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 61
3. Re: Base for self drive tour of battlefields

Thank you WigWam3 and EssexWanderer (again).

We plan to stay in Arras on our way back from Ypres and onto Albert, Villiers-B. Whether we get to Verdun or not will depend on how we go for time after looking into the vast list of sites, memorials, museums that we would like to see, and of course the weather. And we are going up to Ypres for Remembrance Day and also to visit the grave of my wif'e's great uncle who rests in the Cabin Hill Cemetery near Ypres.

Essex
reviews: 71
4. Re: Base for self drive tour of battlefields

You will have a fantastic time I'm sure.

The area is full of interest, with fascinating museums, battlefields and trenches that you can visit, and moving memorials at almost every turn.

5. Re: Base for self drive tour of battlefields

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, December 14, 2013