We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's the best way to get from Paris to Brive?

Which Brive-la-Gaillarde hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
What's the best way to get from Paris to Brive?

I wish I had known about airports in Limoges and Toulouse before we booked our flight into Paris De Gaulle in June this year. We need to get from the airport to Brive by train. When I check Rail Europe is shows only one train at 4 pm. We arrive at 9 am. Is this the only way? We want to rent a car in Brive for 4 days in Dordogne then take another train to Carcasonne, then train again to Arles. Rent another car to tour la Provence and Riviera for 5 days then train to Chamonix for 2 days, then train to Beaune for 3 days, and finally to Paris for 5 days. Finally flying home to California. So what is the best way to do all this? If you can only answer one question just the first one would really help. I am not finding fares and times at this point to make up our budget.

Pennsylvania
reviews: 80
11. Re: What's the best way to get from Paris to Brive?

We want to travel from Paris to Brive and then return to Paris after touring the Dordogne. From what I have learned, we don't need to pre-purchase tickets. Just show up at the Gare D'Austerlitz and buy tickets (same for Brive-Paris)? Is this risky?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
12. Re: What's the best way to get from Paris to Brive?

You should be able to get tickets, but you will pay top price. The walkup price is €66.50 but advance purchase tickets can be as little as €15.

Villa Park...
reviews: 8
13. Re: What's the best way to get from Paris to Brive?

My investigation indicate that the only air connections between Paris and Brive La Gaillard (BVE) appears to be via Paris Orly (not CDG) on Airlinair at $178 RT. Flights are three times daily at 8:55am; 4:00pm; and 7:40pm (about 1 1/2 hrs flight time). Air France has a shuttle between CDG and ORLY running every 30 minutes between 6:00 am and 10:30 pm at a cost of 16 euros per person. The shuttle departs from CDG porte C2 or porte B1 and take about 1 hr travel time.

Orlando, Florida
reviews: 29
14. Re: What's the best way to get from Paris to Brive?

We will be staying in Paris-then doing 8 days in Sarlat area. My concern is getting to and from Sarlat -- trains and car rentals.

I may want an automatic so was thinking of TGV Paris to Bordeaux--rent a car at train station---quick visit to St. Emilion--then drive on to Sarlat.

Coming back it would be nice to give up the car in Brive - take the train to Bordeaux and connect to the TGV. Not sure if this complicates dropping off the rental car (in Brive) and getting good train connections Brive to the TGV in Bordeaux. Is it almost as fast to just drive to Bordeaux? Is it a nighmare to find the Bordaux train station for dropoff?

Palmetto, Florida
reviews: 10
15. Re: What's the best way to get from Paris to Brive?

I see you are working hard at this itinerary still Ronnie ;). You certainly can take train from Paris to Bordeaux and get automatic cat there and tour as u indicated. But on the way back to Paris you can drive to brive drop car off there and take train straight to Paris regional train not TGV but u don't have to go back to Bordeaux.

Orlando, Florida
reviews: 29
16. Re: What's the best way to get from Paris to Brive?

Good idea but isn't the non TGV very slow

Los Angeles...
reviews: 295
17. Re: What's the best way to get from Paris to Brive?

You can take a TGV from Brive to Paris Austerlitz (G-d help my spelling..).

tiburon
reviews: 54
18. Re: What's the best way to get from Paris to Brive?

We will be flying in to Paris in Aug. Our flight arrives about 1:00PM. After looking at the options, we choose to spend the night in Paris. Take the 9:42 AM train # 3631 from Austerlitz station that gets you in Brive at 1:56PM. I am told (but not confirmed) that autos are available at the train station. The drive to Satlat is 74km and takes 1hr14min.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
reviews: 4
19. Re: What's the best way to get from Paris to Brive?

It's not an issue getting rental cars in Brive - the issue may be getting an automatic, which is never guaranteed (and may not be available even in Bordeaux).

As for Ronnie, I don't understand why you need a connection from Brive to Bordeaux. Why not dump the car in Brive and go straight back to Paris? NO, the non-TGV train on that route isn't particularly slow. And yes, you should be buying tickets now, not on the spot. The cheap ones are probably mostly gone by now, and walking up to the window will get you the highest price there is.

20. Re: What's the best way to get from Paris to Brive?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 am, October 01, 2014