We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 hour layover, dinner nearby?

Which Roissy-en-France hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dearborn, Michigan
reviews: 112
7 hour layover, dinner nearby?

i know its not recommended, but is it doable? could i take a cab into the nearest town, have dinner and find a cab back. 7 hours is such a long time to sit in the airport.... thanks...

Tampa, Florida
reviews: 7
1. Re: 7 hour layover, dinner nearby?

The issue is that Roissy really doesn't have that much to offer...

but here's the office of tourism's web page listing things to do:

hotels-roissy-tourisme.com/reservation-hotel…

(note that in 7 hours, a trip to Paris or a trip to La Vallee Village for overpriced outlet shopping is not heartily recommended)

Orlando, Florida
reviews: 2
2. Re: 7 hour layover, dinner nearby?

Hi Bobbi, I posted on your other post re:the day room at the Sheraton. The restaurant in CDG is Brasserie Flo, which is affiliated with the Flo brasserie chain/network throughout Paris. I don't know if they serve non-stop (they may break between lunch and dinner) but you can google them and see. The meal was not inexpensive but very good. I've eaten there on several occassions and really enjoyed that last or first taste of France depending on which way you are traveling. So rather than heading out of the airport, you can relax, refresh and rejuvenate all with CDG.

Dearborn, Michigan
reviews: 112
3. Re: 7 hour layover, dinner nearby?

Thanks so much...! I booked a day room, hope I will have time for dinner!!

Orlando, Florida
4. Re: 7 hour layover, dinner nearby?

And if worse comes to worse and you are really wiped out, there's nothing better than having room service at the Sheraton while sitting in your bathrobe!

Bellflower...
reviews: 15
5. Re: 7 hour layover, dinner nearby?

Just curious: If a person's luggage is checked through, even accounting for the time it takes for immigration and the trip to and from Paris/CDG, is it feasible that a traveler could to to the city just to enjoy a meal, relax and have a glass of wine? Maybe there are travelers who would be happy to do just this, without any sightseeing ambitions.

Thank you,

MrsJAS

Orlando, Florida
6. Re: 7 hour layover, dinner nearby?

I suppose it is possible but it would depend on how long the layover is, if the traveler knows where they are going and the time of day as well.

Once you clear immigration and customs, and get to the RER, you should still plan on one hour to get to the city. If you already have your boarding pass for the continuing flight, then when you get back you can just go through the security line. But if your airline requires you to checkin again in the main terminal (I don't know if some do and some don't), then you would have to allow extra time for that. I would think you would need in the best case scenario and everything goes smoothly, 7-8 hours.

I'm sure others will have views, opinions and experiences.

Bellflower...
7. Re: 7 hour layover, dinner nearby?

Kittycatwoman, sorry I didn't mention in my scenario that I was accounting for a 7-hour layover. I would not even dare to suggest that anytime less than 7 hours should be considered. So many people come to this forum asking for advice on a layover, and, of course, they receive many cautions, for example, If the plane is late to CDG, etc., etc. I think it would be swell if a traveler could take a taxi in, have a relaxing meal at a sidewalk cafe, and return to CDG.

Thank you,

MrsJAS

Orlando, Florida
8. Re: 7 hour layover, dinner nearby?

I figured you were accounting for a relatively long layover. However, given what you presented as a scenario, I wouldn't take the taxi into Paris -- that's another variable that could cause many problems given the traffic. Plus it would be very expensive for a dinner or lunch. If you have little or no luggage, the RER train from CDG into Paris would be your best bet. From the end of the line, you could connect with a metro to take you to whatever area you wanted. So yes, it is doable if the star sall align with you on the trip.

Edited: 5:53 pm, February 11, 2012
Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 8
9. Re: 7 hour layover, dinner nearby?

MrsJAS,

Don't forget that if a person does make the trip into Paris and back to CDG when time is short and the tide of advice is against it, they will return to crow about their cleverness.

If a person does it and misses their plane (and gets hit with a huge walk-up fare) we are unlikely to hear about it! LOL

Rob

Bellflower...
10. Re: 7 hour layover, dinner nearby?

Paris and Kitty, I have read reports of people saying that they were successful. Granted, we won't hear about people who missed their planes.

I was wondering whether, in addition to the cautions, someone could advise, "You won't have time to go to all the tourist sights. However, you could find a sidewalk cafe and have the time to return and catch your plane."

Paris is my favorite city in the whole world (I admit that I haven't been to London, Paris, Rome or Athens) and I want everyone to experience it,even if it's to sit for an hour or two at a sidewalk cafe.

I live in a small city where there are no sidewalk cafes, no patisseries every few blocks, no fabulous architecture, no art museums. Paris is a live museum. Just sitting in a sidewalk cafe and having a glass of wine is wonderful.

Frankly, I think it's great that the Sheraton has a day room. I have been stuck at airports for a long time, and it ain't fun. My husband would want to relax in the day room, while I would be eager to try to see Paris. Of course, this will never happen, as I will never be satisfied with just a 7- or 8-hour layover.

Thank you for being so kind.

MrsJAS

Edited: 10:13 pm, February 11, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Roissy-en-France