We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report 2 days on foot from Plymouth

Which Roscoff hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Eastbourne, England
reviews: 179
Trip Report 2 days on foot from Plymouth

Caught the morning ferry for 6 hour daytime crossing. Breakfast on the boat was nothing special but appreciated the comfort of pre-booked reclining seat for the journey. Boat has cinemas and wi-fi (both at extra cost), bars and cafe.

Walk into town centre was easy and took about 20 minutes. Called into a bar for a glass of wine and a bowl of fish soup. Then found our hotel La Residance.

Roscoff is a compact little town and everything is easily walkable. Enjoyed exploring the harbour-side, small lanes and shops before a pleasant dinner.

Day two we took the train to Morlaix which is about 30 minutes away. Plenty of old houses and churches to see and a good choice of places for lunch. Returned by bus from the train station and again took time to explore Roscoff before dinner.

We were due to sail on the afternoon ferry and so after breakfast we walked to Le Jardin Exotique (about 40 minutes from the town centre). On our return had time to visit the church before lunch.

The ferry was due to depart at 4pm, but because of a combination of low tide and strong winds was unable to dock until 8pm. A local shopkeeper told me this is not unusual, so we ended up with an 8 hour night time sail back to Plymouth, thank goodness we were able to book a deluxe cabin which made the crossing reasonably pleasant.

My overall impression was of a town which genuinely welcomes visitors and has enough to see to justify a couple of days away.

Edited: 11:55 am, June 12, 2012
Wales
reviews: 12
1. Re: Trip Report 2 days on foot from Plymouth

Thanks for a lovely report of my favourite French Port . We usually book our night there for another chabce to explore. And - I remember well hanging around Plymouth for several hours waiting for a delayed ship to come in to take us to Roscoff for the first time many years ago!

2. Re: Trip Report 2 days on foot from Plymouth

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, April 22, 2014