We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting to Sarlat: better from Bordeaux or Toulouse ?

Which Sarlat-la-Caneda hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ontario
reviews: 17
getting to Sarlat: better from Bordeaux or Toulouse ?

We would like to visit Sarlat for the famous market.

Also, would like to visit the wine/food region outside of Bordeaux which we already did.

Is it better to come from Bordeaux or Toulouse?

Only using the train or bus. No cars.

After a few days we are going straight back to Paris.

Maybe I will ask in another forum?

Thank you

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
reviews: 22
1. Re: getting to Sarlat: better from Bordeaux or Toulouse ?

There is only the most slow and roundabout train route between Toulouse and Sarlat. I can give you all the details if you wish.

There are about six direct trains from Bordeaux to Sarlat every day.

Here is the current timetable.

…ter-sncf.com/Images/Aquitaine/Tridion/26-AF…

These are regional trains so there are no reservations and you do not save any money by buying a ticket in advance.

There is no means of getting to Sarlat by bus except from Toulouse, by train to Souillac thence by bus, twice per day at best.

You can find the Bordeaux regional train timetables at ter-sncf.com/Regions/…Default.aspx only in French or you can check them at www.voyages-sncf.com

Regional buses for the Gironde départment around Bordeaux are at http://transgironde.gironde.fr/

To return to Paris from Bordeaux you must obtain a reservation on a TGV train. You can do this at either www.voyages-sncf.com or www.capitainetrain.com

I hope that helps.

Le Bugue, France
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
reviews: 4
2. Re: getting to Sarlat: better from Bordeaux or Toulouse ?

So, are you trying to do both Sarlat and the Bordeaux region (what is the wine/food region you are referring to?) in that "few days?" Or are you planning to stay in Sarlat for a few days and then go back to Paris? If the latter, you really need to rent a car, or be stuck in Sarlat most if not all of the time. If the former, unless you pay for organized tours, again you will need a car if planning to see the vineyards/countryside, etc.

Toulouse, France
reviews: 1
3. Re: getting to Sarlat: better from Bordeaux or Toulouse ?

As said before better from Bordeaux.

The Sarlat is a very charming city indeed.

My PERSONAL opinion is however that the Sarlat market - inviting as it is - is no more so then other little towns markets like Revel's, BUGUE (LE) etc.

If you did not visit Sarlat yet I think it is a good idea to visit it outside the maket's time.

http://southweststory.com/sarlat

ontario
reviews: 17
4. Re: getting to Sarlat: better from Bordeaux or Toulouse ?

I thought we could visit Sarlat for the day time. That's all . Not stay there.

I have already seen Bordeaux wine region such as Medoc . We did it from the tourist office and it was 5 star. Very nice.

This time we want to try a region just outside of Bordeaux. We don't really want to see Bordeaux again.

How about Cahors? or Soutwest wine?

Suggestion?

Thank you

Edited: 10:57 am, March 07, 2014
Le Bugue, France
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
reviews: 4
5. Re: getting to Sarlat: better from Bordeaux or Toulouse ?

I can't see going all the way to Sarlat just for the day and to see the market. There are fabulous markets all over France. The Périgord also isn't a wine region, with minor exceptions like Monbazillac and Pécharmant.

Cahors is of course famous for its wine, but I have no clue as to what types of tours the Tourist Office would offer. Gaillac is another obvious wine destination.

Paris, France
reviews: 12
6. Re: getting to Sarlat: better from Bordeaux or Toulouse ?

I'd look for wine in the Languedoc-Roussilion on your way from Marseiles to Toulouse. Add time here or San Sebastián then take the TGV to Paris from Hendaye and skip the Bordeaux "area" entirely.

7. Re: getting to Sarlat: better from Bordeaux or Toulouse ?

Just google how to get to Sarlat. Loads of info..

Tampa, Florida
reviews: 9
8. Re: getting to Sarlat: better from Bordeaux or Toulouse ?

without a car, you'll spend more time hanging around in trains and train stations than you will seeing anything.

Stick to major population centers where there's actually public transportation.

9. Re: getting to Sarlat: better from Bordeaux or Toulouse ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 18, 2015