We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fly into Paris - then the train...where?

Which Sarlat-la-Caneda hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
reviews: 78
Fly into Paris - then the train...where?

Hello - oh the debate continues...

Provence or Dordogne...I believe this will remain a most wonderful debate...what a privilege!!

If it is Dordogne...and we are to leave Paris by train - what station would we head to please? Is Sarlat the best place to stay as the base or should we, as we might in Provence, trek about a bit to a couple of towns?

Thank you!

Tampa, Florida
reviews: 7
1. Re: Fly into Paris - then the train...where?

Are you planning to rent a car once you arrive in your chosen destination?

If you are, the Dordogne is wonderful. It's very, very difficult to travel the Dordogne without a car (and that includes arriving by train, as the trains from Bordeaux/Libourne are few and far between....and very, very slow).

If you don't want to rent a car for any reason, go to Provence. Having a car makes Provence easier, but the larger towns are far better served by mass transit.

Cambria, California
reviews: 9
2. Re: Fly into Paris - then the train...where?

You can take the "slow" train from Gare de Lyon to Limoges.

Rent a car at Avis in Limoges and drive to Sarlat. That is a great home

base to explore the Dordogne region. Brantome is a nice village and if

you want a quiet day or two, stay at the Hotel Moulin de Roc. If you decide

to go to Provence, and that would be my first choice, take the TGV to

Avignon, have lunch inside the walls and then drive to Aix en Provence.

That city will make a good home base to explore the region.

Have fun!

Marc

Los Angeles

Toronto
3. Re: Fly into Paris - then the train...where?

Thank you for the excellent responses...they have given me great ideas to keep in mind.

I am planning that we are renting a car...my Mum can be a bit nervous...but as I have been to Loire, Provence and Cote D'Azur with a rental car I feel good about this option.

I am getting though - that Dordogne is a bit harder to reach via train etc...than Provence?

Choosing only one place in France (likely as other blessed places in the world) is tough so I have a lot to consider and yet they are such pleasant considerations and the homework on this is much more fun that other research!

Thank you again!

Tampa, Florida
4. Re: Fly into Paris - then the train...where?

The Dordogne is significantly harder to reach via train than Provence.

Toronto
5. Re: Fly into Paris - then the train...where?

Very good to know!! How much of my navigating France - in an area I have never been - in a car...can my Mum manage before her head pops off...could be a defining point. Thank you again!

Ohio, USA
reviews: 4
6. Re: Fly into Paris - then the train...where?

A good regional guide such as the Michelin green guide to Dordogne (or Provence...) and the relevant Michelin 1:200,000 scale map would both be a good investment, nay indispensable. Both are enormously useful for pre-trip planning and essential when the rubber hits the road, so to speak...

A great deal of stress can be lifted from the shoulders of the navigator if you take with you a GPS loaded with European maps. IMO the GPS is not a substitute fopr the "real" map but an enormously useful adjunct when you are in unfamiliar territory. The GPS can and probably will make mistakes but it will also probably keep both you and your mother sane. You can ask for a GPS as an add-on when you rent your car (perhaps using www.autoeurope.com ) but if you take your own you will already be familiar with it and its features which IMO makes life easier.

Tampa, Florida
7. Re: Fly into Paris - then the train...where?

it's worth mentioning, since you say you have a Nervous Nellie in the car, that the Dordogne is comparatively pretty remote, with narrow, twisting roads climbing surprisingly steep hills, including some with some fairly impressive sheer dropoffs. It's not all like that, but there's a good amount of it, and there's no way to avoid it.

There's some of that in Provence, as well, but it's easier to stay on gentle roads once you are off the motorway.

8. Re: Fly into Paris - then the train...where?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:38 am, January 19, 2012