We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bordeaux/Toulouse to Sarlat by train/coach?

Which Sarlat-la-Caneda hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ireland
Bordeaux/Toulouse to Sarlat by train/coach?

Does anyone know or have the timetable for trains from Bordeaux airport or Toulouse airport to sarlat need times for Sundays and Wednesdays in particular. I have tried the sncf website but am lost!

Billings, Montana
reviews: 7
1. Re: Bordeaux/Toulouse to Sarlat by train/coach?

Trains do not go from the airport in either Bordeaux or Toulouse as far as I know. In Bordeaux, the Gare St. Jean is downtown. There is a shuttle bus from the airport to the station, then you can get a train to Sarlat. There are only two or three a day.

From Toulouse, again the train station is in the city, and I'm not familiar with what's available from the airport. If you find the Toulouse tourim office website, there may be info, or you could email them with a question.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
reviews: 22
2. Re: Bordeaux/Toulouse to Sarlat by train/coach?

I am a regular traveller in that region.

The current timetable for the line Bordeaux - Sarlat can be seen and downloaded at

ter-sncf.com/Images/AF15_Sarlat_Bordeaux_tcm…

This timetable applies until July 4th; the summer timetable isn't all that much different. These are local trains, reservations neither required nor available.

As the previous poster said, the airport bus runs between Bordeaux airport and the Gare St Jean every 45 minutes.

You can dig out the exact times from this website

http://www.bordeaux.aeroport.fr

Getting from Toulouse to Sarlat by train is rather more difficult.

There is a bus every 20 minutes between the airport and the city centre bus station, which is next to the railway station.

Most will suggest that a fast train from Toulouse to Bordeaux will be the first option but that's a 2 hour journey by itself. Then it's the local train as above to Sarlat.

There is a 'pretty' route Toulouse - Agen - Le Bussion - Sarlat, of which I have used the Agen - Sarlat section but there are only three trains a day and unless you are either very brave or a railfan I cannot recommend that route.

You can get times for Toulouse - Bordeaux from www.voyages-sncf.com and be aware that almost all the trains on that route require reservation in advance.

Hope that helps.

Dublin, Ireland
3. Re: Bordeaux/Toulouse to Sarlat by train/coach?

Thanks a million for that information especially the train timetable.

My friend is considering flying to carcassonne, do you know if there is a train from there to sarlat ? Just thought I'd ask as you seem to know the area well from your other posts!

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
4. Re: Bordeaux/Toulouse to Sarlat by train/coach?

Carcassonne is one hour by train to the east of Toulouse. There is no direct route to Sarlat; go via Toulouse and as above,

There are direct trains between Carcassonne and Bordeaux.

Really, to get to Sarlat by train you should fly into either Bordeaux or Bergerac. Any saving you make by taking a low cost flight to Toulouse or Carcassonne will be wiped out by the train fare and a 4 to 5 hour journey to get to Sarlat.

Consult a map here

ter-sncf.com/aquitaine/…index.asp

and you will observe that Sarlat is at the end of a branch line and far from the main routes.

Sarlat is a 2hr 30 minute journey from Bordeaux, let alone anywhere else. Very scenic route though and well worth the ride!

BTW there are 6 or 7 trains a day Bordeaux - Sarlat and vv, not 2 or 3 as stated in a previous post. However on weekdays (Mondays to Fridays) there are NO trains from Bordeaux to Sarlat between 0706am and 1.34pm. None at all. It's better at weekends oddly enough with a train in between at 1042am.

Trust that helps.

Cleckheaton, United...
reviews: 13
5. Re: Bordeaux/Toulouse to Sarlat by train/coach?

From Toulouse you can take the Paris train and alight at Souillac where a coach continues to Sarlat. Is there a problem with driving? Sarlat is not the place to be without transport.

As another contributor said, Bergerac is the best place to fly into but without a car you are just complicating your life

Dublin, Ireland
6. Re: Bordeaux/Toulouse to Sarlat by train/coach?

oh I know I am getting married there and 2 of my 80 guests are refusing to hire a car!

There are no flights from Ireland to Bergerac only from Liverpool, Bristol or London in the UK.

I thought that Bordeaux was the best option and now know that it is.

Thanks for your help

Cleckheaton, United...
7. Re: Bordeaux/Toulouse to Sarlat by train/coach?

Good luck with everything. The Dordogne is a truly romantic region.

Co. Kildare
8. Re: Bordeaux/Toulouse to Sarlat by train/coach?

Please. any one know if it's possable to go Carcassonne to Marmande (which is on the Bordeaux line) I want to fly in to Carcassonne and then either train or bus to Marmande. Suppose Agen would also do Grateful if anyone knows anything

Cleckheaton, United...
9. Re: Bordeaux/Toulouse to Sarlat by train/coach?

www.voyages.sncf.fr

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
10. Re: Bordeaux/Toulouse to Sarlat by train/coach?

All train time info on two pages, two timetables needed:

Carcassonne - Tolouse

ter-sncf.com/Images/020%20TOULOUSE-CASTELNAU…

Bordeaux - Marmande - Agen - Toulouse is at

ter-sncf.com/Images/…20Agen_tcm17-21345.pdf

You can get fares and check whether reservations needed at www.voyages-sncf.com as mentioned above. Reservations are not available on the local TER trains.

Trust that helps.

Get answers to your questions about Sarlat-la-Caneda