We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry sea sickness cure?

Which Calvi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Yorkshire
reviews: 14
Ferry sea sickness cure?

Hello! I was in Calvi a few years ago and suffered from horrendous sea sickness on the ferry journey from Nice and then on a boat trip whilst there. I managed to buy some sea sickness tablets that did not contain caffine from one of the pharmacies there. I'm trying to find out the name of it. I think it may be Cocculine. Does anyone know if this is right? Or has anyone taken this and had positive experiences? I'm going to be travelling by ferry again soon and am really nervous about being ill!

Thank you

:)

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
reviews: 35
1. Re: Ferry sea sickness cure?

Yopu might find it useful to read

nhs.uk/Conditions/…Treatment.aspx

The only thing I can think of is cinnarizine, available over the counter in this country as Stugeron, which many people find effective. I'm not aware of any remedies that contain caffeine, although I suppose it might counteract the drowsiness caused by many remedies. All remedis should be taken before the journey.

Tampa, Florida
reviews: 7
2. Re: Ferry sea sickness cure?

You might also want to talk to your pharmacist or gp -- there are lots of remedies on the market, so it can be a bit of an issue to find the one that works best.

I've even heard good things from accupressure bands, which work by applying pressure to sensitive spots on your forearms.

Don't know if it's available in the UK, but I've had tremendous success with Dimenhydrinate, which is sold as Triptone in the US -- it doesn't make me sleepy, so I prefer it to any other meds.

Nice
Destination Expert
for Nice, French Riviera - Cote d'Azur, Antibes
reviews: 52
3. Re: Ferry sea sickness cure?

Travelsbytrain - yes it is cocculine by boiron - available at any pharmacy here otc -it is a very effective homeopathic remedy

My Daugherty suffers from terrible motion sickness which triggers severe migraines and this really helps her.

I also find it helps for watching 3d films in cinemas as well, esp ones with lots of swooping about as otherwise i feel too disoriented and nauseous with vertigo

Essex
reviews: 71
4. Re: Ferry sea sickness cure?

boiron.ca/en/…

there are many possible homeopathic motion sickness 'remedies' but the most popular seem to be included in the product that selkieNice has mentioned (link above).

After a small 'google' around, the closest I could find to that product in the UK is the Boots Alternatives Travel Sickness Relief:

http://www.boots.com/

You could, perhaps, try your local health store and see if they have anything similar.

The 'classics' for sea sickness are to stay outside on the boat if you can, so that you get fresh air, and to watch the horizon at all times, then your brain will find it easier to match up what your body is 'feeling' with what you are seeing.

I used to have terrible motion sickness as a kid (carsick especially, long car journes used to be hell for me). Luckily I seem to have grown out of it! I would say I have never been seasick even as a kid - but that would not be entirely true! Once on my travels I was going between Islands in the Seychelles on a really old ferry that was very smokey and the smell of the diesel fumes coupled with the 'lively' sea (normally I enjoy a bit of a swell) almost did send me over the edge! So I do sympathise with you, it is a yucky feeling!

Tampa, Florida
reviews: 7
5. Re: Ferry sea sickness cure?

oh heavens - diesel fumes plus motion would make the sturdiest ill.

Yorkshire
reviews: 14
6. Re: Ferry sea sickness cure?

Thank you all so much for your help. Hopefully now I wont have too many sleepless nights before the boat trips! :)

I think I will give the Boots ones a go or try and get hold of the Boiron. Bit of a worry merchant and want to steer clear of anything that could potentially cause worse side effects than the sea sickness itself.

Thanks again!

7. Re: Ferry sea sickness cure?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:41 am, June 18, 2013