We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bringing a rented car over on the ferry

Which Calvi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Golden, Colorado
bringing a rented car over on the ferry

We will be traveling in a rented car and would like to know if we are allowed to bring it over on the ferry from Nice to Calvi..thanks

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
reviews: 4
1. Re: bringing a rented car over on the ferry

I am not sure why you are asking this question here and not asking the rental company.

None the less, we did one time take a rental car on the ferry to Corsica. The company was Europcar and we were told that in the event of a problem, no service help would be available as Europcar on Corsica was not affiliated with Europcar on the French mainland.

I believe there are risks associated with doing so but we were not specifically prohibited.

Calvi - Corsica
reviews: 10
2. Re: bringing a rented car over on the ferry

All the car hire companies on Corsica are franchises, to the point that Avis at Calvi airport and Avis based in the centre of Calvi see each other as competition.

Come over as a foot passenger, save a packet and take the car hire from the centre of town.

Golden, Colorado
3. Re: bringing a rented car over on the ferry

The problem is that we will already have the rented car and be traveling in Italy and France and then want to go to Corsica for a few days before we head back to the states, so we will already be paying for the rental of a car. We would not want to pay parking for it in Nice and then rent another in Corsica, so that is why we wanted to know if it is allowed to bring over to corsica with us.

Perth
reviews: 59
4. Re: bringing a rented car over on the ferry

We are also taking a hire car on the ferry from Nice to Calvi. I contacted auto-europe and their problem is that their insurance won't cover the car when it's on the ferry.

However they said that this wasn't an issue as the ferry company's insurance will cover during the sailing.

Golden, Colorado
5. Re: bringing a rented car over on the ferry

thank you, I will call our car rental also, I was afraid that I will secure the car here in the states through Hertz, and felt that they might not know the answer as to how it is handled in France. We were going to take the addtional insurance that is offered also on the ferry. Have you secured a hotel in calvi? That seems to be a little more difficult then I thought. We will be going in July, the 14-17th of July..heard of any good hotels.

Kamloops, BC...
6. Re: bringing a rented car over on the ferry

Ask when you pick up the car and be sure that the rental agreement is marked that the car will be going out of the country.

Personally, I agree with turning in the car in France, walking on the ferry, and then renting another car on the other side. It will be much cheaper and you won't have to leave a car on the car deck of the ferry that contains all your luggage. The bad guys aren't the only ones who know the rental car plate numbers - the ferry guys do, too.

France
reviews: 9
7. Re: bringing a rented car over on the ferry

Travelerfromcolorado,

July 14th is the traditional start of the French holidays. No kidding probably 20% of the country will be on the move that weekend so if you don't have reservations already act quick, and expect plenty of queues over that period.

Golden, Colorado
8. Re: bringing a rented car over on the ferry

I thought that the vacations in Europe were always in August?? Do you think our things will be safe on the ferry in our car? We are only going to Calvi for three days and two nights, we just assumed since we will be renting the car in Nice to do other traveling, that we would jusst keep the rented car and bring it to Calvi with us. When we return to Nice we will then leave the next day for the states and would just turn the car in when we go to the airport. Also, any suggestions on what is a fairly good hotel in Calvi, good location and clean, does not need to be a fancy hotel.

Perth
reviews: 59
9. Re: bringing a rented car over on the ferry

I think you are worrying too much regarding the safety of your luggage on the ferry. It will be as safe there as anywhere else.

Regards hiring the car in Nice or Corsica. The deal I got with auto europe was far cheaper than anything I could get in Corsica. Also, ferry was cheap and carrying all our luggage with 3 children was a non starter.

New York City
reviews: 72
10. Re: bringing a rented car over on the ferry

Hi travelerfromcolorado,

We have taken our car rental from Nice three times from Nice and Toulon to Bastia, and once from Piombino to Sardinia. There never seemed to be a problem, so have a great time.