We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferries to Ios in June 09

Which Ios hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 3
Ferries to Ios in June 09

Hi

Trying to plan my trip to Europe for next year. I know its early, but I'm trying to take advantage of some cheap airfares. I'm looking a arriving in Athens on the 12th of June and catching a direct ferry to Ios. The problem is i cant seem to find any Ferries from Piraeus to Ios. Is this because the timetable for June has yet to be released? or are there none going there?

Thanks in advance

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
1. Re: Ferries to Ios in June 09

Don't worry, you will have no problem getting to Ios. It's far too early for timetables to be published (start looking in April or May), but there is usually a morning highspeed leaving 0700-0730, and one or two slower ferries later in the day. Another possibility is a ferry to Paros, then another from there to to Ios. If you have to overnight enroute, and budget is a concern, rooms are far cheaper on Paros than in Athens or Piraeus. :-)

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Stoupa, Finikounda, Petalidi, Athens
reviews: 55
2. Re: Ferries to Ios in June 09

Timetables won't be released until just before the season starts, but here's a map of Blue Star routes, you just have to wait for definite times.

bluestarferries.com/ENGLISH/defaultmain.htm

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Stoupa, Finikounda, Petalidi, Athens
reviews: 55
3. Re: Ferries to Ios in June 09

Sorry, forgot this bit, click on domestic lines, Cyclades then itineraries.

Birmingham, United...
reviews: 16
4. Re: Ferries to Ios in June 09

There are regular ferries From Piraeus to Ios in June it amounts to around 3-4 per day always at around 07:00-08:00 and at other times around 17:00 and possibly 20:00-23:00. The early one is a cert, later ones have a lot more variation but that's the general pattern. Most are known by say May, although changes can occur up to a few days in advance. In June you can just purchase ferry tickets on the day or earlier.

Ios has good connections with Santorini, Naxos, Paros, Mykonos as well, and a lot of other islands about 3x per week. The quickest would be a Hi-Speed catamaran with Hellenic Seaways in about 3½ hours but they are twice the price/speed of ordinary ferries.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 3
5. Re: Ferries to Ios in June 09

Thanks everyone for your help....A couple more questions how long does the slower ferry take? and what is the rough price of both the high speed and slower ferry?

Also does the high speed ferry leave Ios in the morning because we are planning on catching a 4:30pm flight from Athens to Prague. Thanks again

Birmingham, United...
reviews: 16
6. Re: Ferries to Ios in June 09

1) Piraeus to Ios on a slow ferry depending on it's route and stops at other islands could take 10 hours, or more. It's 25 Euros for the slow ones cheapest class, double for Hi-Speed ones.

2) From Ios you will have to catch a ferry the day before or overnight ferry to get your flight. Looking at last years on some days you could leave about 21:30 and arr at 01:00, other days 19:00 arr 08:00, 12:30 arr 16:00. A lot of variation you'll have to play it by ear, ask in the ferry ticket agencies on Ios as soon as you arrive and plan accordingly.

Don't expect idealised/convenient ferry timings, they run sometimes complicated routes at apparently odd arrival times.

ios greek island...
Destination Expert
for Ios
reviews: 33
7. Re: Ferries to Ios in June 09

AUSSIE hi dont worry to much about planning as it all falls in to place once in greece ,

remember 10s of thousands of people do the same traveling each and every year ok,

also keep in mind you can fly athens to santorini , theres always a boat ios to santorini connecting which takes approx 45 mins ,

also check out naxos flights ,

on front page of tripadvisor ive wrote tips on travelling to ios

hope this helps oioi

PIPERRI TAPAS N MEZE IOS VILLAGE

Dublin
8. Re: Ferries to Ios in June 09

Hi I am planning on being on Ios for the last week in May, also having difficulty getting ferry schedule - being going for years so I know the ropes on ferries being cancelled late etc, but have never been this early.

Would I be better frlying into Athens or Santorini in May - will be flying from Dublin, cant fly direct to Santorino, but could fly via England.

what do you think?

Laura

ios greek island...
Destination Expert
for Ios
reviews: 33
9. Re: Ferries to Ios in June 09

id rather fly to santorini than athens hun if youve done it before , ive been informed that boats should be connecting with the easyjet flights , i contacted the boat companys and they are trying to get the boat schedule up early this year ,

hope this helps look fwd to seeing u in ios

oioi

ill be at

piperri restaurant

Slovenia
10. Re: Ferries to Ios in June 09

Hello!

Me and my boyfriend (21yrs) are planning to make a trip to Santorini and Ios on the 28th of August. We've been to Greece before (Rhodos, Kos, Zakinthos) but always with travel agency. This time we are taking just the plane and do the booking via internet. We're planning to stay the first night on Santorini and then the next day to go to Ios. The returning date from Ios to Santorini is the 4th of September.

Can you tell me how many times a day there's a ferry between these two islands? Is it necessary to book the ferry in advance or is it ok if we book the ferry one day in advance or even just before departure?

One question more: is the same with the ferries to Naxos or not?

Thanks for all your anwsers!

Katja from Slovenia

Get answers to your questions about Ios