We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Friends are nearby....should we switch?

Which Napili-Honokowai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California's Wine...
Friends are nearby....should we switch?

We are booked at the Mahana while two other families that are going at the same time as us are at the Papekea. We booked first but the rest of the group have larger families so it was cheaper for them at the Papekea. I'm thinking for evenings cooking in..... it would be good if we were in the same complex so we could meet near pools or BBQs to have dinner. I booked through Aston so they may not even let us change. I also feel it may be a step down from Mahana to the Papekea but if we are all together and we still have an oceanfront room....it will be good.

Are the Mahana and Papekea close enough to walk back and forth? Can you walk along the beach between the properties?

Thanks for any help. Getting excited as we will be there the end of July! :)

10 replies to this topic
Nanaimo, Canada
reviews: 28
1. Re: Friends are nearby....should we switch?

I would wonder about availability for your dates, seeing as you are going during the busy summer months, and just a month away.

There are only three or four complexes between you and the Papakea, but depending on how much food you are carrying, it may be too far.

Maui, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Waikiki
reviews: 77
2. Re: Friends are nearby....should we switch?

It would be a long walk.

You would enjoy the bbq's. At papakea

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
reviews: 15
3. Re: Friends are nearby....should we switch?

Nettie - changing your accommodations during super-high season this late in the game is not a good idea. Think of the POSITIVES - as well as the inconveniences - of being in another area. I would not sweat it.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
reviews: 16
4. Re: Friends are nearby....should we switch?

You could always check, someone may have cancelled a beautiful room that's waiting for you. You never know unless you ask Aston.

Indy
reviews: 85
5. Re: Friends are nearby....should we switch?

I think it's pretty close. It seemed close when walking from the road. Maybe ttrade off who cooks when and then you don't have to lug stuff from one to the other...we were at Honua Kai and Mahana and they walked over many times though it is right next door. Both have spalling work going on. Papakea seemed to be more invasive. Mahana was not noticeable if you weren't in the building being worked on.

Santa Cruz...
reviews: 104
6. Re: Friends are nearby....should we switch?

You guys can walk back and forth to each other's condos....I'd stay put...JMHO

Have fun!

Babs

California
reviews: 30
7. Re: Friends are nearby....should we switch?

It's a short walk, .31 of a mile either by road or beach.

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 27
8. Re: Friends are nearby....should we switch?

I'd stay put....it's an easy walk and as suggested above you can switch off cooking and carrying...

WWA
9. Re: Friends are nearby....should we switch?

You will want to do have your dinner bbq get togethers at Papakea. There are two cabanas, 12 bbq's and extensive waterfront grass to hang out on. Mahana has high rise-like views and a very narrow strip of water front grass. That's about it.

California's Wine...
10. Re: Friends are nearby....should we switch?

Thanks for all of the advice. Decision made since Aston will not let us switch since it was part of a package deal. I think we got the better deal with the Mahana. Everybody in the group agrees....we can enjoy hanging out at both resorts! :) Start the countdown for end of July! :)

THANKS

Reply to: Friends are nearby....should we switch?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted