We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming and snorkelling in West Maui in February?

Which Napili-Honokowai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Peterborough
Swimming and snorkelling in West Maui in February?

We are heading back to Maui in February. We are getting really excited!!! Could you please suggest possible beaches for swimming and snorkelling in West Maui. I know that conditions vary from day to day. Are there web cams to check out beaches in West Maui?

We had a great deal of difficulty finding beach access in south Maui.

16 replies to this topic
Honolulu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
reviews: 2
1. Re: Swimming and snorkelling in West Maui in February?

Not sure why you found beach access lacking in south Maui. There are tons of great beaches in that area that are easily accessible!!

If surf cooperates and you are fairly experience, Kahekili Beach Park is one of my favorites. It is just north of Black Rock. Large free parking, restrooms, showers a grassy area for picnics.

Kapalua and Honolua Bay's are also on top of my list. Will be more surf dependent than Kahekili. Honolua Bay has a rocky beach.

Maui, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Waikiki
reviews: 75
2. Re: Swimming and snorkelling in West Maui in February?

Which property are you staying in.

A wonderful part of the Kaanapali Beach is oceanfront from the Maui Eldorado and golf course. Very few people, white sandy beach, . Park at the Royal Lahaina.

New England
reviews: 94
3. Re: Swimming and snorkelling in West Maui in February?

JImgloria will hotels just allow you to park in their parking lots??

Birmingham, Alabama
reviews: 34
4. Re: Swimming and snorkelling in West Maui in February?

There is some free beach parking in Kaanapali but it's hard to find. Kahekili Beach Park, as fuzz says, has lots of parking (+ picnic tables and showers/bath houses) and is a good beach for shore snorkeling. Should be decent parking at Honolua if the water is calm enough to snorkel. I always have problems at Napili but maybe I am missing a secret.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
5. Re: Swimming and snorkelling in West Maui in February?

I know of no hotel that will allow you just to park in their lots. Most beaches have some sort of parking near them.

San Diego...
6. Re: Swimming and snorkelling in West Maui in February?

http://www.mauihawaii.org/webcams.htm

Peterborough
7. Re: Swimming and snorkelling in West Maui in February?

Are the problems with parking or water safety? Beautiful beach but we found that we were being pulled out without realizing it at first. It was a good thing we had on ocean flippers. We really had to swim hard to get back to shore.

Chicagoland
8. Re: Swimming and snorkelling in West Maui in February?

You could drive south to the Kamaole Beach Parks in South Kihei. The ocean is calmer south in winter. The three Kam beaches have lifeguards, rest rooms, showers, lots of grassy areas, picnic benches, shade, and plenty of free parking. From there on south through Wailea are more great beaches.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
reviews: 15
9. Re: Swimming and snorkelling in West Maui in February?

For the main stretch of Ka'anapali, I always park at Whaler's Village ... and then get a validation at the ABC Store (you always need something from an ABC Store!), restaurant or other shop.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
10. Re: Swimming and snorkelling in West Maui in February?

Peterpatch, which beach are you talking about?

Reply to: Swimming and snorkelling in West Maui in February?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted