We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in West Maui - a nice restaurant dinner

Which Honokowai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Peterborough
Staying in West Maui - a nice restaurant dinner

I am having trouble finding recent TA comments on places to have a nice dinner. Frommer's recommends Son'z, and Pineapple Grill. We had delicious early bird drinks and dinner during sunset on Napili Bay at the Sea House but this was 5 years ago. We would appreciate Ta's advice as we usually eat at our condo but have one really nice dinner our last night.There will be a full moon when we are in Maui in February, so perhaps that can be considered as well.

14 replies to this topic
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
reviews: 15
1. Re: Staying in West Maui - a nice restaurant dinner

Pineapple Grill and Merriman's are popular. The Sea House has really gone to the dogs. Worst dinner I have had on Maui. We used to go every visit ... but last time (last year) was terrible. I had been warned but I went anyway - duh!

I like Leilani's in Whaler's Village.

San Diego...
2. Re: Staying in West Maui - a nice restaurant dinner

Merriman's Kapalua. Great views, large outdoor deck with a big fire pit and comfortable chairs. Great place for an after dinner drink or desert. Can look at the full moon and listen to the surf at the same time

San Diego...
3. Re: Staying in West Maui - a nice restaurant dinner

Agree about dinner at the Sea House. We had lunch there a while back and that was pretty good. last dinner there was not so good

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
reviews: 12
4. Re: Staying in West Maui - a nice restaurant dinner

Leilani's, upstairs, is our go to for a last meal on Maui.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Maui
reviews: 34
5. Re: Staying in West Maui - a nice restaurant dinner

Son'z...blah, Pineapple Grill for dinner- no! Pineapple Grill for breakfast or lunch yes. They really need to figure out their dinner. Also for beautiful views and good lunch or dinner try Plantation House.

Merriman's is good, expensive though...not sure what you want for prices. I also like Leilani's for dinner.

S.F. Bay Area
reviews: 9
6. Re: Staying in West Maui - a nice restaurant dinner

Merriman's is nearly atmospherically impossible to equal in my book. The food is a bit pricey, but it's Maui! I actually do the self-seating on their amazing lanai & order a slew of happy hour pupu's - the sliders & truffle fries are pretty darn good, & you can't beat that location -- this spot is exactly where I'm popping my retirement digs if the joint fails! ;)

Not a fan of Pineapple Grill for any meal - would venture to any of the franchise's ('Cohn restaurant group's..') San Diego establishments before dining there. Also agree about Sea House dinner - blah ... although, I still enjoy their breakfast. Not a fan of Son'z or any Tri-Star establishment with the exception of Nick's Fishmarket (& I don't do fish -- 'friends not food!! ;)

I also like Leilani's, but prefer their beachside "casual" menu to the formal upstairs offerings -- although you can order the pricier items downstairs if you wish. Much prefer either menu to sister restaurant, Hula Grill's directly across the pathway -- although the barefoot bar does posses an added atmospheric attraction..

Kimo's holds a special place in my heart for many reasons, although the food is definitely comparable to Leilani's -- same owner, so not a large surprise there.. Kimo's lanai is one of my favorite places to enjoy a "Jack Starr" MaiTai! ;)

Alo)(a, NKO

Phoenix, AZ
reviews: 173
7. Re: Staying in West Maui - a nice restaurant dinner

I will also vote for Merriman's Kapalua.

No full Moon, but Lahaina Grill has always been good for us - going back to the old David Paul's days.

Gerard's on the lanai would be another, and depending on the position of the Moon, might work.

We have also like I`O (right next to the Feast of Lele). Overhead sky view on the patio.

Phoenix, AZ
reviews: 173
8. Re: Staying in West Maui - a nice restaurant dinner

<<The Sea House has really gone to the dogs.>>

This is very sad. We have enjoyed several breakfasts and a few lunches there, over the years. However, things do change - like the Banyan Tree closing, and being replaced at the Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua.

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 27
9. Re: Staying in West Maui - a nice restaurant dinner

We like Ma'la Ocean Tavern for our nice dinner out not too far from "our" condo in Honokowai

Peterborough
10. Re: Staying in West Maui - a nice restaurant dinner

Thank you for your honest opinions. I was pretty certain I could count on A for the real facts. WE will definitely avoid The Sea House.

How is the Gazebo for the mac. nut pancakes and coconut syrup? We actually were there before 7 am on the advice of TA. It was worth getting up early, except for the bird sitting on the table drinking out of the syrup jug, but that was 5 years ago.

Reply to: Staying in West Maui - a nice restaurant dinner
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted