We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amount of deposit?

Which Napili-Honokowai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Amount of deposit?

Is 50% deposit typical for holding dates in June/July 2014 for a condo rental through VRBO? The balance is due 60 days before arrival. I just want to be sure before I put $1000 dollars on my credit card! I will definitely talk to the owner before I send the money.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,165 posts
16 reviews
11. Re: Amount of deposit?

I rented a condo at Nohonani last month #202 thru Maui Lodging Properties and only had to put down $500 with the balance due 60 days before our trip.

Very smooth transaction with no problems. By the way we absolutely loved Nohonani and will try to stay there again on our next trip.

Aloha Condos also has units there.

WWA
Level Contributor
1,970 posts
12. Re: Amount of deposit?

""only had to put down $500 with the balance due 60 days before our trip.""

'balance do' is important to us. we've rented from a place on the BI were we had to prompt the owner for the $500 deposit refund. She had good reviews, but even though I sent her an email when we departed saying let us know if everything checks out with your cleaning person, etc, we never heard a thing until we asked for the money. Lame.

We have found owners on Maui that is way better than 500 and balance due. There are some great people out there to rent from - sometimes is takes a bit to find them, but when you do it really good.

Edited: 7:55 pm, July 20, 2013
Plymouth, Michigan
Level Contributor
612 posts
5 reviews
13. Re: Amount of deposit?

If you are staying for a very short time i.e. 4 or 5 nights, then the deposit could easily be 50% if they require a 2 to 3 nights deposit. If your Maui adventure is 7 or more nights, then 50% seems excessive, definitely if your trip duration is 10 - 14 days.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,165 posts
16 reviews
14. Re: Amount of deposit?

No the $500 deposit was not a security deposit it was towards the rental there was no security deposit or cleaning fee.

Bay Area, CA
Level Contributor
123 posts
3 reviews
15. Re: Amount of deposit?

I just saw a listing on VRBO that required the whole amount up front! And the cancellation policy was a full refund before 120 days of your stay. That's something like 4 months. I have never seen this before. We are looking elsewhere.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
26,274 posts
17 reviews
16. Re: Amount of deposit?

Sounds like a scam...........seriously. I would never send some stranger money for an entire stay like that. Glad you knew better!

17. Re: Amount of deposit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:15 pm, August 26, 2014