We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amount of deposit?

Which Napili-Honokowai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Amount of deposit?

Is 50% deposit typical for holding dates in June/July 2014 for a condo rental through VRBO? The balance is due 60 days before arrival. I just want to be sure before I put $1000 dollars on my credit card! I will definitely talk to the owner before I send the money.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
11,256 posts
36 reviews
1. Re: Amount of deposit?

It varies ... some owners ask for $250, some ask for 2 or 3 nights worth. I don't think I've had an owner ask for 50% but there is a rental agency that I just used for a Maui rental that requires that amount. What is their cancellation policy ... or do you have trip cancellation insurance?

Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Amount of deposit?

Thank you for your quick response! I just have an inquiry at this point. I'm waiting to hear back from this manager for a condo in Nohonani.

Miranda DeSoto (PB) RB -18880

Paradise Living Properties, Inc.

808 870-2425

Level Contributor
8,286 posts
31 reviews
3. Re: Amount of deposit?

A 50% deposit is not typical.

We have rented dozens of condos through individual owners on vrbo and with local Island management companies. Typically we are asked for a $500 deposit upon booking with balances due either 60/45/30 days out. We have also have a couple of instances where only a one night's deposit was required.

The terms will vary depending on owner/management.......but 50% is not the norm IME

Level Contributor
16,101 posts
32 reviews
4. Re: Amount of deposit?

Talk to them and ask why they need 50%. See if they are negotiable on that deposit. It would not bother me to make a 50% deposit if I though everything is on the up and up.

Level Contributor
341 posts
5. Re: Amount of deposit?

masters...wonder if some companies 'piggyback' listings by original source & add extra 'fees' to make their profit. Example: I just reserved condo with 2 nights deposit, balance due 30 days prior with no additional fees other than std taxes. But this same unit was available from two other 'firms' that wanted higher price per night & 5 to 5.2% 'booking fee', both requiring 50% deposit. If you're in love with the unit maybe you should google the unit & see if you find better deal. I wouldn't give 50% at time of booking...this is our 9th year running & we've never had to pay more than 2 nights when reserving.

Falcon, Colorado
Level Contributor
291 posts
9 reviews
6. Re: Amount of deposit?

We paid over a 50% deposit to Chasin Rainbows for our upcoming October rental.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
15,769 posts
40 reviews
7. Re: Amount of deposit?

I like the advice given above. I too, have never given that much of a deposit, and never will. It is way too much, too far in advance. Our condo for September was a deposit of $140.00, and the rest is due 30 days out. I don't mind losing that much money if we need to cancel.

Good to know your experience J&L, and something to be aware of. I am curious what "advertisement" you ended up booking through to avoid the higher price and booking fee. Was it vrbo?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
8. Re: Amount of deposit?

Some owners make their own bookings as well as through an agency. I rent directly with an owner on VRBO and if I went with the agency listed it would be more per night. Is there contact info for the owner?

Huntington Beach...
2 posts
9. Re: Amount of deposit?

We always stay at the Hale Kai #110 in Honokowai and the deposit is not nearly that high. Great area highly recommended. For me that is too much that far out.

Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: Amount of deposit?

Well, still haven't heard back from Paradise Living Properties and cannot find another number to call. I'm moving on in my search after all your wonderful feedback!